Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rokosz1

yellowing needles, ho hum??

rokosz
10 years ago

I've got 3 _normal_ pine nut trees (pinon) and one dwarf.

In the pic the dwarf is in foreground. one of the normals is in the pot (and has been since I received all 4 about 3 years ago.

The two in the pic are showing yellow needles at the branch extremes with no other growths or colors.
They weren't yellow in the fall.

I do have one of the normals, in the ground since purchase which turned yellow last fall. It dropped nearly all its needles in the top third of plant (as of today) there still a few yellow stragglers on the top branch. I'll post a reply to get that pic up.

Aside from disease -- is this an extreme case of needle drop? What about moisture? when pines drop needles at the extreme is that a lack of hydration or surplus?

And, daily/yearly sun light is a factor I presume?

The other two planted normals look pretty robust (and have grown relatively robustly too) with hints of yellowing on some needles. They get better doses of sunlight -- and are probably relatively drier.

Hope you can help, thanks for letting me ramble.

Comments (3)

• rokosz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the other normal pinon. you can see how extreme the needledrop was beginning later last summer. Up until then he'd been ok.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you have had these for 3 years???? .. how big were they when you got them????

where are you ... how cold did it get??? .. were they wind protected ...

how was the pot protected... when is the last time you changed the media... how do you fertilize it ...

is pinion east coast viable?? .. are summers too hot???

where they covered in snow???

how did you plant them in the ground?? ... what is your native soil ... are they in full sun ...

last pic.. the buds look viable ... i have had pines lose all their needles after a bad winter.. and bud out fine ... so there is hope ... i cant see any buds ont eh others.. due to the pic ...

ken

• rokosz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, thanks, for responding. Hope you can digest all this.

The specific species is Pinus koraiensis and its dwarf

Found the receipt -- they were planted in 2012 -- and were very young seedlings. ordered from Burnt Ridge.

I'm 40 miles north of New York City. Its been an unusually consistently cold winter. Not much in the way of record cold. But I don't recall significant snow cover starting in January -- and not seeing the ground for 2 months-- ever.

The potted one has had nothing done to the media (ground soil, maybe, originally some compost and peat.) since potting -- nor was the pot protected this winter.

They all were completely under snow for essentially 2 months.

Climate-zone is reasonable -- though its potentially more wet here than I believe they'd prefer. The last two summers have been surprisingly mild and even tempd.and aside from Sandy (which was not much here) there've been no tropical soakers.

They're definitely not in full sun. the potted and its buddy They mostly get dappled shade and only get afternoon sun -- and not for very long.

The other three, in the ground, get much more sun -- but not AM -- and the straggly one gets the least.

The media for all 5 is pretty much local soil/compost/peat. Most of the soil I use I scrounge from around the property. It has a high %. worm castings. Top soil is not something easy to find here (ledge/bed rock not very far below any surface). I typically have a yard trucked in every few years -- and then augment with compost, peat, leaf litter and castings.

Fertilization was last spring with, maybe, a Tablespoon or two of ground up evergreen fertilizer spikes per plant.

I'm ok with slow growing (not enough sun etc.) but I do want to address anything that's symptomatic.

I couldn't get my neighbor to agree to let me take down one of their 60' secondary spindle-growth oaks. Its leaning, but not, unfortunately, toward their house. That'd net me about 3 hours of AM sun. Trees don't root deeply here given the rocks under the surface. I hope for a day with 3-4 inches of rain immediately followed by a heavy wind from the NE....

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting