Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Pinus aristata var. longaeva 'Sherwood Compact'.

dcsteg
13 years ago

I have been looking for this for several years.

It will go into one of the new islands I am creating.

This is an even slower-growing compact and dense form of an already slow-growing species, said to grow less than an inch a year; extremely slow growth and density makes it an ideal specimen for my island hopping style of conifer gardening.

Dave

{{gwi:671597}}

{{gwi:671598}}

Island update..will anchor brick with mortar mix tomorrow and then planting is next.

{{gwi:671599}}

Comments (10)

• gardener365
    13 years ago

o ho ho Cool!

I'll be ringing you for a scion. I might be jealous but I will not say!

Dax

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Dave, if I may be so bold, I'll lable your gardens America's Foxhollow. A remarkably vast collection of the choicest conifers and plants all placed in an area that would seem to small yet all perfectly situated and thriving. It's no small feat what you've accomplished.

In comparison, my gardens are basically mashed together from a monstrous, gas-guzzling machine straight from a Dr. Suess book that spews plants randomly onto the landscape until all earth, space and art-form is long lost. lol...

Someday I hope to see it in person.

-Will

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Will,

Your garden is unique in its own right.

Something to be proud of and enjoyed by all of us on the GW Conifer Forum.

You the man.

"Someday I hope to see it in person". Any time...the door is always open and the light is on.

Dave

• dansgrdn
    13 years ago

Sweet new addition Dave! Wow!!! Your new beds look PERFECT and will seemlessly meld with the rest of your spectacular garden. You must be psyched to have a few new spots to work your magic with. Have fun :)

Dan

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Nice new beds Dave, look forward to seeing them develop! ...The 'Sherwood Compact' grows much more than one inch per year, had a plant here some years ago that was at least six feet high seemed to suffer with fungal problems, possibly due to our damp winters, so had to get rid! better luck with your specimen

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just a follow up.

Thanks to Resin the correct name for this cultivar should be Pinus longaeva 'Sherwood Compact'

Dave

Making some progress...Having hard time rounding up interesting cultivars. Companion plants, ground covers and boulders are next. I will make room for the right cultivars as I find them.

{{gwi:671600}}

Hard to believe there was a 50 ft. Sweet Gum growing near the 'Tom Thumb Gold' 2 weeks ago.
    {{gwi:671601}}

• texjagman
    13 years ago

When I first saw this thread a few days ago I thought the title was wrong and it meant a mugo since that was the only pine 'Sherwood Compact' I had ever heard of. But that's a really interesting plant Dave. I'm liking it.

I've got two deodoras coming in the next week or two.......one called 'Golden Showers' and the other 'Golden Cascade'. One extremely narrow and full, the other a little fuller but still not too wide. If they come in as golden yellow as the pictures I saw, I'll post it here for you to see because they should handle our climate well and the golden color would play really well off the color of your 'Sherwood Compact'. And neither would take up too much room in your bed.

mark

• gardener365
    13 years ago

I am very impressed.

Is that a weeping River birch?

Dax

• raul_kender
    8 years ago

Hi Folks!,

I have a Pinus longaeva 'Sherwood Compact' as well, bought very recently. I am planning to repot it into a good drainage mix, as now is just in the compost that came from the nursery.

Could you advice me on what mix should I use? Is it better ericaceous or loam-based? May be a general purpose + grit + composted bark would be good?

thanks,

Raul

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

a new post on the topic of potting media ... with an appropriate title would help the next guy with a media question ...

the conifer is irrelevant ...

ken