Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skyjumper_gw

p abies dropping needles, why?

skyjumper
11 years ago

three picea abies planted 3 years ago. 6' when planted, 10' now. have been very healthy.
last year I started to notice some thinning on the south sides. it got worse over the winter.
the north sides are full & lush.
first, the south side:
{{gwi:672027}}

North side of same tree:
{{gwi:672029}}

what am I doing wrong??

This post was edited by skyjumper on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 18:27

Comments (6)

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

I don't see a problem here.

Normal for Picea abies is to hold needles for 3-5 years, then shed the old stuff, especially toward the bottom and in shaded areas. I'd prune out that dead bits and get ready to have a real tree on your hands.

~Dave

• skyjumper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hmm. maybe the picture isn't showing what I'm seeing. on the south side the are quite a few branches that are bare in the middle - e.g. last year's growth is there, and growth from 4 years ago is there, but 2 & 3 years ago is gone. and it generally looks haggered (on that side).

other side of the tree looks great.

south side gets more sun exposure, so I'm wondering if that's scortching the foliage?? (is that possible with a spruce?) also gets more wind exposure.

just wondering if I should be using wilt pruf or some other anti-dessicant.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

all conifers.. lose interior needles ...

dave said.. on this one .. they hold.. 3 to 5 years ...

the pic shows it losing needles.. old ones.. towards the middle.. on the older part of branches ...

do not forget.. you shocked it 3 years ago ... so i would add.. increased by transplant shock ..

life is in the buds.. if those look fine .. what more do you want.. ???

if you study a branch.. by the change of bark.. you should be able to literally count the years back..

i am sure you know what last years growth was ... study bark.. if any .. note the change.. and you can ID 2 year old stuff.. then 3 year old.. etc ...

i agree with dave.. ON THESE PIX.. i dont really see a problem ...

ken

• skyjumper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dave, ken - I understand what you are saying. I don't think these pictures are telling the story of what I'm seeing. which is:

1. many branches with recent foliage (2-3 years) gone, but with older foliage still intact (closer to trunk). some are bare right out to the buds, which are still live.
    2. very different condition on north side vs. south side of same tree. North side (more shaded) has dense foliage all the way to the trunk except on lowest branches.

i hope you are right, that there's nothing to worry about. but it doesn't look right to me.

• barbaraincalif
    11 years ago

Asking a Ken question: where are you located?

Here in the central valley of California we have long, hot, arid summers. Except for Picea pungens, every spruce I have that is not shaded has burn, needle drop, and dead branches on their south and west sides. The most damage seems to happen during especially hot days when the sun is at a low angle, with fall being the worst here. That may explain why you noticed more damage this winter. Like yours, their north sides are beautiful but the south...yuck!

A nurseryperson suggested they may need more water so they'll be getting supplemental irrigation this summer. However, it's slowly starting to sink that many Picea are simply not adaptable to full sun in our climate here.

I wonder if an antidessicant helps prevent sun scorch?

Barbara

• outback63 Dennison
    11 years ago

I concur with Barbara A water problem

South side baking from exposure to sun and drying wind from lack of moisture.

Unexposed side able to endure out of the elements.

Dig down along the root ball and check for moisture for starters.

Davesconifers.