Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
privacy screen

Posted by Hiccups4 none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 12 at 18:31

Hi there,
I need plant suggestions for a border garden that will serve as a screen for privacy (6-20ft high 10-15' wide) that surrounds my front yard. I would prefer some evergreen specimens for year round privacy. There is currently a deciduous hedge of unknown species. It has a gaping whole at the front where the previous owners parked their boat. I could probably plant curbside as well as a few feet on the interior of that hedge. I am also not attached to the hedge itself. Any thoughts? We are south facing, clay zone 6. I am fond of a loose natural looking border. Thanks in advance. The area in question is about 35' square. Plans/layouts would be MOST appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: privacy screen

i would need a picture to conceptualize the situation ....

and the closest major city .. to understand what part of z6 ...

ken

o

hiccup tells me she is near toronto ..

link below as to how to post pix ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Hey Hiccups.

There are a number of decent choices. Just go with some variety. That way when something gets the best of one tree it does not get the rest.

I own two thuja occidentalis "snow tips". They are 99% green but grow well and every so often do get the white tipped new growth.

They are up near the house suffering from too much shade but growing. Another Thuja O "sunkist" is out in a damp clay part of the yard in full sun also doing well despite there being weeks its too wet to mow and some hungry deer.

Snow load may be an issue up by ya....

But I think they're great to mix in a screen and there are a billion cultivars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here