Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibanez540r

Green Giant Arbs

ibanez540r
11 years ago

Looking to find a good deal on decent size green giants. I need quite a few, 20-30 or so, and would like them to be around 24-36in. minimum.

Know of any deals online?

Several years ago I purchased from a guy in Florida who shipped 50 for under $200. Can't find him anymore.

Thanks for the help.

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

years ago i used botanyshop.com

there is a guy in delta OH also .. link below .. no idea about his prices..

insure you get single leader plants ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 18:41

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    11 years ago

Current weather is making me doubt the Thujas for any long term planting plans.

I have two white tipped Thuja occidentalis and one yellow. The two white tipped fellows are about 8 foot tall, the yellow half that. If they were larger I bet this ten inches of snow would have been the end of them.

Fella down the street lost one of the two ten plus footers near the end of his driveway last year to snow.

They just seem like the conifer equivalent of the bradford pear around here and I worry about them coming apart on you in the not so distant future.

Are there large ones in your area?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey toro ....

were/are they single leader plants..

or these mass produced multi stemmed OLD plants that fall apart???

during a recent rain/sleet/snow/ice storm.. my 15 foot tall 50 GG's .. single leader.. laughed at all the arbs that i bought in year one.. that were big boxstore multi's .. my bad for not knowing.. way back when ..

ken

• spruceman
    11 years ago

I have never seen a GG develop multiple leaders, not even when the original leader was broken off by buck rubbing. If, after damage, two or three leaders seem to be developing, one will assert dominance.

I have planted about 26 of these, and they can withstand anything any weather can throw at them.

GGs are not the same as Thuja occidentalis, but those--the regular species plants anyway--have good storm resistance also.

--spruce

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

'Green Giant' is a hybrid between two wild species and not a columnar habit variant like T. occidentalis 'Smaragd' etc. - it will tend to maintain a single trunk whenever it can, as a wild seedling would.

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Righto to Spruce......straight species occidentalis is preeminently snow-hardy! My woods full of them has withstood hundreds, if not thousands of heavy snowfall events. Never once saw any damage I(No, I wasn't around to witness all of these snowfalls!). These are mostly single-stemmed trees. If your GGs would somehow end up multistemmed, it's a simple enough matter to rectify.

+oM

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    11 years ago

Perhaps I stand corrected and should not lump all Thujas together!

Mine are single leader trees and two of them are a bit more shaded than ideal. That helps them with snow as they do not have the thickest foliage.

The Thuja something that came apart that I was most familiar with was a fair height taller than me and multi leadered if that is a term. Up higher than you could prune w/o Ken's super ladder it had three orbfour competing leaders but maintained the conical shape.

Up at work the landscaper put in some which are mostly gone now. Looks like I need to ID them better before I go lump the whole bunch together!

• outback63 Dennison
    11 years ago

All 'GG" survived the 30+ inches of wet snow in KC so far for the month of March with no issues.

Al other Thuja multi- leader cultivars were splayed to the ground unless wrapped. Multi- leader Junipers also took a big hit.

Davesconifers

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

GGs here do well enough in wet snow -- no problem here yet, while some wild, narrow columnar Va junipers along the highways were seen bent/broken, even uprooted.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

I think the fan shaped foliage of "GG" is better at releasing snow than the plumes of VA junipers.

• hlechat
    11 years ago

Thanks to this forum, and a posting or two from Ken, I just spent 1.5 hours at big box store, looking at each and every Thuja Emerald (was going with the Giant but decided the scale, in my yard, would not work),

I went with the smaller size, as recommended here, to let them habituate to the site, and grow faster.

I went with the single leader plants, per above concerns (not to mention plain ol' good looks).

Have to thank everyone who contributes here. You all made a big difference in one little life!!! :-)

I will put a drip/soaker system in place, when they are in the ground, to ensure they get enough H20 their first year(s).

Am a newbie, one day will have some specimens, am sure.

Again, my gratitude, admiration, and tip of the hat to Ken and all posters.