Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

Winter Conifer Rooting

ladylotus
11 years ago

Greetings everyone,

I've been putzing around in my greenhouse all winter again. I started quite a few conifer cuttings again. I love working with cuttings.

Here is what I am working with this year.

{{gwi:672210}}

{{gwi:672211}}

{{gwi:672212}}

In addition, I started more seeds of Ponderosa pine. Not sure what in the world I'm going to do with all these pines I have 5 trays like this plus some that I started last winter outdoors wintering over. I don't think I will find enough scion to graft with all these pines. ha ha. But I love starting seeds. I have spruce seeds that I collected but I could not get many seeds off my trees this season. They just did not set many cones this year. I'm hoping I can get more spruce seeds started this next season.

{{gwi:672213}}

I had enough time to waste so I even started maple seeds. They are so adorable. I have to research what I can graft on to Amur maple seedlings as I'm interested in trying my hand at grafting onto these once they get enough size to them.

{{gwi:672215}}

I love this hobby and hope that I can continue to find challenges for myself. I thrive on that. I have a friend who sent me ginkgo seeds, I have them outdoors stratifying them at the moment and will be planting them up next weekend. I canNOT wait to get them started.

How have the rest of you been fairing with your cuttings, grafting and seed growing? Please share your photos and results. I'm curious to know what everyone has been up to this winter.