Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seeking opinions

Posted by alley_cat z7Maryland (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 18:53

This is the side of my house. It has direct southern exposure on steroids during the summer. The distance between the sidewalk and the concrete foundation is exactly 35" and no more.The window means nothing.Drainage is ok, but not the best.That side of my house is 40' long and that area is in the center. I just removed one of those ornamental little peach trees that was fun for a number of years and is on a truck heading for one of the kids houses. Ive been trying to think of a cool conifer to put there,but the 'light bulb' wont come on.I will be adding some pencil points like gold cone,but would like something speacial in the center. Do you think p p 'the blues' could work in that 35" foot print? Any ideas at all?...Id love to here em! Thanks ALPhotobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seeking opinions

boy do i have opinions.. care for one....

daylily

south facing.. z7 .. hot.. humid MD ...

i would call that a frying pan in MI ...

ken

o

Very narrow. I think The Blues grows way outward when it leans over, but maybe a procumbens or something staked to the height you want and allowed to weep then, or how about something on a standard? These are the things I think about in my yard. :)
Cher

o

Al, that's a miniature or super narrow upright spot-only.
Of course 'Al's Irish Drift' will fit nicely. uh-huh!

I'd look into hard pines, heat tolerant firs (if drainage + those grafted on Canaan will be more tolerant than other rootstock; sure if you can find those grafted to firma), no soft pines, no larch, juniper is good, hemlock is a no, and all spruce are good. 2" per year but I wouldn't go any more.

Pick a website such as Coenosium and I'll write a list of my favorites.

Dax

o

Dax beat me to it and perfectly described some suggestions though I will say any 'weeping/trainable' types would be fine as long as you don't mind staking for a while and then training as you see fit.

Picea pungens 'The Blues' would be fine there, train it all over the place.

-Will

o

Larger weepers that are sharp to the touch are not very conducive to near a sidewalk. I would never plant 'The Blues' there, or anything that will ever outgrow that space in a hurry. You'd be planting a tree, next to a house.

Dax

o

the problem i see.. is how to get a mini to get 'established' ... with the known variable ...

not that it cant be done...

but that is might be very hard ... with the sun and the heat.. etc ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here