Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picea glauca 'Daisy's White'

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 19:06

is not a true mini.. with growth under one inch ... correct??? whats your best info on growth rate in yoru yard????

i would like to see some pix.. and tell me how much it has grown in the amount of time you have had it

would this be appropriate for my mini bed surrounding my patio .. of which.. i am sure you have seen the pix a couple hundred time

perhaps .. since this isnt a staking issue.. dave wont chew me a new one ..

ken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picea glauca 'Daisy's White'

I think mine grew a little more than 1" last year, I'm going to say around 1.5" give or take a little. This was the picture a few weeks after the spring flush went away. I think the growth rate of 2' x 1' in 10 years should be fairly accurate... it should be ok in your mini bed.

o

Ken, mine was in a #2, was planted 4/10/10 and does not appear to have grown a millimeter. I am between cameras (I have the new one but haven't figured out how to use it; that might happen tomorrow, in which case I'll take a snap) so no photo. I moved it (the Picea, not the camera) last October as the Cercis that was providing it some shade had to come out. Oddly, it was in full sun for a good 2-3 mo and did not burn. Nor did it grow. Very little new growth means very little white. I may rename mine just plain 'Daisy'.

o

Faster then one inch here in the Pacific Northwest. I'll see if I can dig up some photos tomorrow. Not 3+ inches or anything but seems to be about 1.5-2 inches.

-Will

o

Hey Ken, I hope Whaas will chime in on this one. Mine won't arrive until the end of April, so I can't help you out just yet! The link below has a pic Whaas posted (8th pic down) last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whaas' Daisy's White

o

Grapesocks, thanks for the link. I received my order in the mail this week and one of the plants I ordered was Picea glauca 'Daisy White'. The photos with all the cream/white colored new foliage is fantastic and I'm thrilled that I did buy this plant.

Ken, I say go for it. :)

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 22:13

Although common, I sure like this cultivar because of its dainty size yet big punch of color. Mine was in part shade and stayed yellow/cream for well over a month. Going through that link reminded me that 'Dent' is one of my favorite cultivars. I looked at is today and it still had nice coloring.

I was thinking about adding 'Rita' as well since she buds later.

o

does it reflush like rainbows end.. and the green ones???

is it 1.5 inches per flush ...

or a total for the year at such??

i realize the root of the issue is the newness of the cultivar.. and that i may not get a fer sure answer ...

ken

o

Mine didn't flush twice last year... the only Picea glauca I have that flushed twice is Picea glauca 'Pixie Dust'. It looks like in another week or two and I should be able to get a nice shot of the spring flush.

o

Two different looks.

Flush once a year.

The conical one a Bob Fincham cultivar. It still carries the cultivar name of 'J.W. Daisy White'. Bob's about 1/2 inch a year.

The one on a standard 1 inch a year. It is sheared once a year.

Dave

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Don't know for sure, but I'd guess that this clone is commonly produced by grafting as well as by rooted cuttings, and that this may influence the growth rate. We could try and correlate the growth rate to the propagation method by a survey of those who own one. But the point is moot since there's not much variation observed in the responses to OP, and everyone seems to agree that it's pretty slow.

o

It will only be produced by cuttings, by grafting will make it only more expensive...

o

Certainly geographical location makes an enormous difference as well. Here in Washington state the last two years my specimens have flushed white in about May and then held that color until later July, at which point they suffered a bit of burn because of our delayed Summers. The first year, one of my specimens in full sun never returned to a fully green state. It was still a beige-green in October. Conifers act very differently here then they do in Wisconsin.

-Will

o

think of dwarf alberta spruce, add cream flush.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here