Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sc77

Picea orientalis 'Skylands' Question

sc77 (6b MA)
11 years ago

I know that Skylands need shade for the first year or two. Is that based on when it is planted in its final spot? If i had it potted for year 1 in shade, then planted it in the ground year 2, would i still have to shade for another year?

My plan is to plant it under an existing tree, so it will get the shade it needs. Once past the shade phase i will be removing the old tree, so it will get bright sun. This is the south side of my yard, so it gets full sun. Do you think the tree will provide enough shade or should i get a shade cloth too?

The Skylands will go where the yellow post is.

Thanks,
Shawn

This post was edited by SC77 on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 19:53

Comments (14)

• sc77 (6b MA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another angle

• sc77 (6b MA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another angle

{{!gwi}}

• ricksample
    11 years ago

Why wait to remove the old tree? Wouldn't it be much harder trying to cut it down between all the small plantings? If the tree fell the wrong way or a branch came down, it wouldn't take much to snap a 1 or 2 year old tree.

I currently have my skylands under a shade cloth... it's been that way for the last 1.5 years. This coming year I plan to take some of the shade cloth away letting it become more exposed to the sun gradually rather than baking it.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the larger tree providing shade for the Skylands... A shade cloth consist of a couple pieces of wood, some staples, and a shade material. You can put it together in about 5 minutes.

If you decide just to use the larger tree for shade now, start it off with no shade cloth. If the needles start to burn a little, then it'll be time to put a shade cloth up.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hi..

the skylands.. presuming its for your zone.. which i dont know.. has 50 foot potential ...

it should NOT be planted under those power lines ... any more than that pine was.. or you will be topping it .. like the pine ...

so the shade issue is moot .. for that spot..

or are you going for 'it' regardless??

personally.. i dont care about burn .. the plant will 'get over it'.. in a few years.. so whats the point.. mulch is well.. and water it properly .... and dont worry about it ... but then.. i have a big enough lot.. to ignore it for a few years.. until it does get over it .... and it wont bug me when i water it ... the big shade screens would bother me more ....

ken

PS: unless you are an artist with a saw.. i would get rid of the old one first.. so as to not crush the young one ...

• outback63 Dennison
    11 years ago

If you are planting it in total shade then you are not acclimating to the sun at all.

If received in a 1 gal. container I would up pot to a 3 gal. while waiting to move it to its permanent home. This will give it a chance for a little root development and cut down on watering time which you will have to watch very carefully.

If left in the pot recess it in the ground. Give it full sun with shade cloth protection then move to permanent place after you remove the tree. Yes you will need shade cloth for the first year in its permanent place.

Personally if this cultivar burns it will not get over it and you will loose it. Also don't worry about the 50 year potential. GO for it and enjoy.

Davesconifers

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 20:46

• sc77 (6b MA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks All, really appreciate the feedback. I think I will take the advice to pot to a 3 gallon and place in full sun with shade cloth.

Rick, my main reason for wanting to delay cutting the old tree is to maintain some privacy while the skyland's grows. You can't see in the photo, but there is another house about 150ft behind it.

Ken, The current tree was planted before those power lines ever existed...you never know what will happen in the future. That said, I'm not too concerned about the 50ft height potential. tough to tell in the picture, but this tree will be planted about 4ft father away from the lines. As a result, it could probably reach 30ft before it ever came even close to threatening the lines and having to be cut.

Dave, amazing picture! it's pictures like that that have made the skyland's one of my favorite conifers. I hope my tree will someday look that great!

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

HI Dave, When was the last time youve found it necessary to build shade for your 'skyland' or was that only a temporary inconvenience in the first couple of years? Also do you have a photo of when you had it up? I was curious if you just shaded the top or did you find it necesary to shade the sides of your tree as well? Maybe the southern exposure. Were you concerned about high winds, such as a bad violent summer time thunder storm? Knowing you, im sure you had all the bases covered. Thanks in advance if you can get to some of these questions. Also anyone else care to show your 'Skyland rigs' please do.
    `AL

11 years ago

OP and alley ....

ALL green conifers are full sun .. zone appropriate .... of course ...

as you add foo.. as in foo foo.. moving away from green.. you move into plant tissue that might not 'take' full sun ... and usually that means scorch.. either summer or winter ... but ...

when you plant a tree/conifer... you completely and totally interfere with its roots system.. and it can take a few years.. for it to re-establish its roots mass ... and while it does that.. foo foo foliage can burn ...

so daves solution ... is to shade it ...

unprofessional.. i think.. has a pic of a 40 footer at hidden lakes.. dax has one also.. its in full sun...

the plant itself.. does NOT need shade.. all you are doing is trying to protect it from your handling of it ... thru planting ...

does that make any sense ...???

and .. many.. yellow tissue conifers.. will be GREEN!!! ... in too much shade.. its a real dichotomy as the sun burns them.. but they need it to color properly.. and it is impossible.. for us.. on words or pix alone.. to define whether any given shade.. in an given garden.. will grow a green or yellow plant ...

as noted.. the 40 footer is at least 15 feet wide.. i really think.. presuming you stay at the house.. that you will be regretting planting it that close the power lines..

regardless.. do whatever makes you happy ...

ken

• unprofessional
    11 years ago

Bam!

{{gwi:645781}}

• outback63 Dennison
    11 years ago

cat man,

I don't have any shade screen photos. Long deleted.

Buy 3 ft. of 3/4 EMT conduit. Cut in half and drive into ground to support the 1/2 EMT conduit you are going to secure the shade cloth to. With the screen made up just drop it into the 3/4 sleeves. Easily removed for high winds or cloudy days when the screen is not needed. A little more work but bullet proof. Easily rolled up for storage till you need it another place. Your choice as to how you want to construct it.

I shaded it for two years. It has free ranged for five since then. I only shaded the sun exposed side top to bottom. No storm related issues

Last year it did burn slightly but that was a very unusual summer with weeks of 100 + F. temps and severe drought. I gave it several shots of cool water twice a day and it will be fine this year. Many of my conifers suffered. Pinus strobus and Thuja occidentalis croaked.

If you plan on staying at your house long enough to see 20-30 ft. height out of this conifer I would take Ken's advice and relocate so you never have to remove it.

Daveconifers

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Dave , Thanks for the response.When i plant this one im putting 100% effort into everything starting with location. I have no intention of ever moving it. As far as being able to enjoy it when its 30' ..Ill probably be drooling in my oatmeal somewhere, but someone will have an awesome cultivar!
    `AL

• sc77 (6b MA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken, I'm on less then 1/2 an acre with very limited spots that get full sun so I'm ok with getting a solid 15 years of enjoyment out of this conifer before having to consider removing it... In the rest of my yard I have been limited to Tsuga chinensis & Tsuga diversifolia (HWA = no Canadian Hemlock), Thuja, and will be testing out some Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Jubilee (or whatever it's called these days) to see how it handles the shade...

I will take more measurements and see if I could bring it in farther away from the power lines thought... I'll just have to start removing grass like everyone else on here...

11 years ago

I'm ok with getting a solid 15 years of enjoyment out of this conifer before having to consider removing it

==>>>> BINGO .. BANGO .. YOU WIN!!!!

the precise attitude you should have ..

and if and when the power company comes thru and rapes it... just ask them to cut it to the ground and be done with it ...

as they say.. go into it with EYES WIDE OPEN...

the peeps who plant giant trees in easements .. and then whine and moan when they become a problem.. get no sympathy from me ...

BTW.. you are aware of the mini version of this plant.. arent you .. tom thumb???? .. it would take 500 lifetimes for that one to get to the power lines .... is there any real reason you need the big one???? screening?????

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: tom thumb

• sc77 (6b MA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tom Thumb is high on my wishlist as well and is much more appropriate for my yard. However, I still have to have a Skylands!! I wish there was something in between Tom Thumb and Skylands, like the size of Picea pungens 'Sester Dwarf'....maybe someday

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus