Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garen59

Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Silhouette' info, Impressions?

Garen Rees
11 years ago

I'm thinking about adding another Metasequoia cultivar to the yard. From the descriptions 'Silhouette' sounds like it may be a good one. Most image searches turn up only a few pictures of small newly pushing foliage or maybe the foliage on this tree is just thin? Is it a good performer? I tend to think speckled variegated conifers look messy or sick, but I love Metasequoia so maybe I'll like this one.

I was wondering if it may be able take full sun like my 'Ogon'.
If anyone has pictures, info, or an opinion about this tree I would be very interested.

Dax, do you still have your 'Silhouette'?

Thanks! =^)

Comments (5)

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Awesome. Great variegation, really obvious up close and still beautiful at a distance. I can't answer to full sun, particularly in your harsher climate, but it handles half-sun here perfectly: no burn, plenty of color.

It's a keeper.

-Will

• Garen Rees
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Will. "Awesome" and "great variegation" sounds good to me.

I think I read somewhere on Talon's Flora Wonder Blog that he mentioned that it was a great tree and they were going to see how their M.g. 'Lightening' compared. 'Lightening' is still under observation and looks almost all white. As awesome as it looks I don't think I have a shady location for such a tree that would surely burn. I can't wait so if Will and Talon like the 'Silhouette' it must be good unless my midwest weather hinders it's performance for some reason.

I may try it in full sun and make sure it gets plenty of water until it's established. My ogon never burns so I'm thinking this one will do the same once it has enough root mass. Then again I'm not sure how much white or cream variegation it has and if that would make any difference to sun exposure compared to entirely yellow foliage.

I'll just have to quite rambling and try it out =^)

• unprofessional
    11 years ago

Any known growth rates on these two?

• gardener365
    11 years ago

It doesn't burn at all here and mine is in full sun and super dry clay, and, I don't water it. I can't really comment like Will has because I've allowed it to grow many-multiple-leaders and it's deformed so, I really don't look at it.

I'm going to hack them for scions at a future date.

Dax

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Growth rate...... I suppose so far 1/3+ meter a year. I believe I've had it in the ground for 4-years. It's about 6' tall is a guess from the 1/3 M whip when I planted it. I'm sure it'll grow quicker, later.

My plant is not a good one to be estimating for the reasons I mentioned above.

Dax

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting