Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best weeping hemlock

Posted by kaitain4 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 15, 09 at 21:26

I have a shady area that I need a smaller (8-10ft) weeping conifer to fill. Can anyone recommend some cultivars that would fill the bill?

Thanks!

K4

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best weeping hemlock

Generally I believe

Tsuga candensis 'Sargentii'
and
Tsuga Mert. 'Thorsons' Weeping'

are considered two of the best.

Both must be staked for height I believe.

o

Thanks Fire. I'll look those up.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 0:34

Here's my Sargeant's K4. I've never staked it up, however, it's on a high graft. I prune out the branches that are superceded by the ones above, making a rather thin, uneven edged, umbrella. It's about 40 years old. I got it in a trade about twenty years ago.
Tsuga canadensis, 'Pendula'   Sargeant's Weeping Hemlock

o

I'll agree with "Bluespruce" GW member as I think Tsuga mertensiana 'Blue Star' is one of the best.

Dax

o

Hello K4
The best weeping form is Tsuga heterophylla Thorsens Weeping

Tsuga heterophylla Thorsens Weeping

Henk.

o

I did not read carefully the height requirements I now see.

Dax

o

Woops ya!

Tsuga heterophylla not mert.

Tsuga mert. 'Blue Star' is one I'd love to see a picture of.

o

Thanks everyone! Thorsens is amazing and the closest to what I was looking for. Seargents will probably work if I train/prune it. They're all beautiful. I too would like to see a pic of the 'Blue Star' cultivar that was mentioned.

K4

o

Some background on Tsuga heterophylla

Tsuga heterophylla occurs in two distinct areas, on the Pacific Coast (SW Alaska to NW California), in zone 7-9, and a separate interior population in the Rockies (SE British Columbia to N Idaho and NW Montana), in zone 4-6.

If this cultivar is from the interior population, then you have no problem; if it derives from the coastal population, then probably not hardy.

Mine came from Iseli and the claim hardy to -20 to -30 F.

Up date...mine died...obviously rootstock not from interior population. Just a guess of course could have been climate or soil. As I under stand it real tough to grow in Midwest or anywhere other then its original environment.

Probably a good rule of thumb to go by is...Do any western hemlocks grow there? Would have to survive the total climate and soil combination, not to mention your winters which is a challenge in itself.

Dave

o

OK, thanks Dave. That's great information. I would never have known that!!

o

This is a photo of Tsuga mertensiana Blue Star
20 years old.

Tsuga mertensiana Blue Star

Henk.

o

Wow! Beautiful, Henck. Will this one have the same potential zone problems as Thorsen's?

o

Hello Henk

Interesting tree what other forms of Tsuga mertensiana
do you have?

o

I might suggest Tsuga caroliniana 'Mountain Mist'.

PlantMarker

o

Hello Blue yew

I have many Tsuga mertensiana cultivars
Elizabeth,Glauca,Bump's Blue,Zigzag,Quartz Mountain,Nana Pendula,Extra Blue,HB Horstmann,Lepiniec,Mountain Light,Sdlg Horstmann,Sherwood Compact,

Tsuga mertensiana zone 5

Henk

o

Heck...can you post a photo of Elizabeth?

Dave

o
RE: Best weeping hemlock 1

Dave

Photo for you of the Tsuga mertensiana Elizabeth

Tsuga mertensiana Elizabeth

Henk.

o

Thanks Henk...any special needs for this cultivar...ok for Zone 5?

Dave

o

Henk - You're a wealth of knowledge and plant images. Keep up the helpful work!

If you have one, I'd love to see 'Bumps Blue'. I have one coming and no idea where it might fit.

Will

o

PlantMarker - do you have a photo of Tsuga caroliniana 'Mountain Mist' ?

o
RE: Best weeping hemlock 2

Photo of Tsuga caroliniana Mountain Mist.

tsuga caroliniana mountain mist

It's look a like Tsuga caroliniana LaBar Weeping.

Henk.

o

I've used this info to keep my Tsuga mert. 'Bumps Blue' going for three years now. Hardy to zone 5, but does not like the heat or dry air.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Ore St mert stuff

o

I may be submitting this twice. Apologies, if so.

My parents grew a Sargent's Weeping Hemlock for about 40 years. It was beautiful and my mother loved it dearly. Unfortunately, the new owners of her home have cut it down to make room for heaven knows what!! My mother is devastated.

Can anyone recommend a place to purchase a new one for her. She lives in Damariscotta, ME. Thank you in advance.

PS - I do not yet know how to post a photo. But, I will, if I can work it out.

o

I have 4 Sargent's in my garden and they are beautiful. But the one that gets the most sun ( 4 hours) look the best. The one that got the least (1 hour) was just OK and so I cut down a couple of poplars to provide more sun and it has responded. The photos above suggest that the plants get quite a bit of sun and so you need to factor in how much shade you have in your garden.
Gary

o

Tsuga mertensiana Bump's Blue

Hello Wil this is a photo of Tsuga mertensiana Bump's Blue for you.

Henk.

o

Anyone know of a good source for all these rare Tsuga Merts?? I've been lusting over 'bumps blue' 'glauca' 'blue star' I can't find a nursery source, mail order or otherwise. Any help is greatly appreciated! I think I found a source for 'elizabeth'

o

Hostaguy- You can try at the link below for 'Bump's Blue'.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Cloud Mtn

o

Thank you TSUGAJUNKIE!!! Excellent!

o

I just can't get enough. They take my breath away. Every one of them. Just beautiful

o

Them's some good plants. Thanks for all the photos.

Dax

o
RE: Best weeping hemlock - cont.

Tsuga caroliniana 'Mountain Mist' in full shade growing at the nursery of Rich and Susan Eyre, 'Rich's Foxwillow Pine, near Chicago, Illinois. Very very graceful and elegant plant. Like 'Thorsen's Weeping' or 'Sargentii', these must be staked or they will grow on the ground horizontally:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

What do you think about one on each side of a front entry instead of a traditional alberta spruce? (probably considered partial sun area)

o

Thanks for the pics of Mountain Mist. Mine is tiny but healthy. Now I know what to expect. I had never seen any pics of it before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here