Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritmatt_gw

4 Dwarf Conifers Added to New (and Growing) Collection

ritmatt
11 years ago

I picked up 4 new plants this weekend, adding to my small but growing collection. Thought I'd share photos.

Cedrus libani âÂÂGlauca PendulaâÂÂ
{{gwi:674524}}
I noticed this cedrus has some yellowing needles on it already, even though I just brought it home yesterday. Root stress, perhaps. There's a lot of new growth on the plant, too, so I will hope for the best.

Cedrus deodora âÂÂProstrate BeautyâÂÂ
{{gwi:674526}}

Picea sitchensis âÂÂPapooseâ (EDIT: Name updated per coniferjoy and corroborated by {{gwi:674528}}.)
{{gwi:674530}}

Picea abies âÂÂReflexaâ (EDIT: One of many varieties labeled as âÂÂPendulaâ in the trade, per unprofessional and other sources.)
{{gwi:674532}}

I'm sure these are old hat for most of you. They are new to me, though. I hope I can keep them alive.

Matt

This post was edited by ritmatt on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 8:45

Comments (16)

• unprofessional
    11 years ago

Good choices.

Your last one is actually Picea abies 'Reflexa', as somebody was bound to let you know - still, you always see it in the trade named the way you did. Personal opinion: stake it up! They're much more stately not looking like they need Sildenafil.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing!

Your camera's picture quality is top notch. What are you using?

• Cher
    11 years ago

Great choices. I like your Picea abies Reflexa weeping. I keep mine weeping. Easy to find big conifers, I like some weeping ones that keep growing a skirt.
    Cher

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Matt, your pic doesn't show us a Picea omorika 'Nana', it's a Picea sitchensis 'Papoose'.
    It seems that your supplier doesn't have the right knowledge...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

superb.. such the proud father ...

i have had a couple trees snapped.. staking as you staked the first ...

the majority of the plant.. is above your last holder-oner ...

a good wind has the potential.. to start whipping the high part.. and snap it at the highest holder..

you need an 8 foot stake ... pushed into the soil as close as possible ... then bammed in 2 feet.. and the tree tied on ... for one year ... and then released ...

they are made to blow in the wind ... it is us.. who usually create the circumstance.. that leads to injury ...

its part three .. subsection A of killing something with too much love ...

as to the P.a. Pendula ... if you dont know.. you train it to height.. and it grows to the ground from there.. if you could get that thing to 4 or 5 feet.. it could become a stunning specimen ... otherwise.. it will not put a leader up ... deciding that.. is the easy part.. doing it is another issue.. lol ..

the best part of the pix.. is pic one.. all that space to fill up ... lol ...

thx for the pix.. and the story..

ken

• ritmatt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Unprofessional and coniferjoy - Thanks. I have updated the original post with corrected names. Always learning.

Whaas - that's a tripod-mounted Nikon D3S w/ a Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8.

Ken - Thanks for the suggestion. Experience is worth a lot. I almost added a bamboo stake but I was worried about creating more stress by inadvertently severing another root or two. Maybe I'll go ahead and stake it after all.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Matt, I'm not sure either about your Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula'.
    Please, can you show us a detail pic of the under of that specimen?
    Thanks!

• ritmatt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, I'll try to take a close up photo tonight. I want to show you guys the yellowing needles and the new growth, anyway, just to see what you think.

I can tell you that the needles look almost identical to a couple Cedrus deodaras that I have elsewhere in my yard, albeit a bit darker green.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

That's why I asked for it... :0)

• ritmatt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alrighty, here are a couple closeup photos of my tall, skinny cedrus. Hopefully, we can zero in on an ID. I'd also like to hear any thoughts on the yellow needles. The photos are indicative of the general condition of the entire tree. Some yellowing needles and some new growth. What do you think? Should I be worried?

{{gwi:674534}}

{{gwi:674536}}

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Cedrus deodara 'Glauca Pendula'.
    Be aware that this one will will not stay this narrow when it is getting older...

You don't have to worry about it's yellow needles, replanting stress could be the cause of this.
    Did you bought it B&B?

• ritmatt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting. There are precious few references to Cedrus deodara 'Glauca Pendula' on the Internet. Photos, fewer still. No reference to this variety in Dirr's either. Can you point me to a good source of information for it?

What is B&B?

• texjagman
    11 years ago

B & B = Balled and Burlap......did the plant spend its whole life growing in a pot or when you took it out of the pot was there a round ball ( probably wrapped in burlap ) buried in the dirt and the pot was just holding it?

mark

• barbaraincalif
    11 years ago

Most of us just wish we could have started our collections with such nice size, quality, and variety of conifers!

You've got a big lot to work with...please keep us updated.

Barbara

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Matt, B&B is balled and burlap.

The thing is that U.S. nurseries mixed up the Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula' and the Cedrus deodara 'Glauca Pendula'.

This is a Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula'
    {{gwi:674541}}

This is a Cedrus deodara 'Glauca Pendula'
    {{gwi:674543}}
    The leaders of these specimens are just like the habit of your young specimen.

• ritmatt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aha. Yes, my plant was definitely "B&B". I thought it was potted when I bought it, but it turned out to be a root ball stuck in a pot and filled with soil amendment. Another experience for the inexperienced - I didn't figure this out until I was literally pulling it out of the pot and putting it into the ground. The ball was about the size of a basketball, which was smaller than I would have guessed. Upon removing the burlap, I noticed that the fabric was quite fresh - with no signs of deterioration. Shoot, it was practically clean! The tree seemed like it has been dug up and put in burlap very recently. I noticed that there were hardly any roots showing on the outer edges of the soil "ball," save for one, which was about 1/2 inch in diameter and severed.

Thanks for the photos, coniferjoy. I like the Cedrus deodars as shown and I think it will do fine where I put it. Plenty of room, I think, for up to 20' in spread. Maybe more.

I like the C. libani a lot, too. Maybe I can find a spot for one of those, as well.

Mark, Barbara, and others, thanks for the help and encouragement. I'm excited to see what things look like 10 years down the road.

Matt

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz