Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener365

Does this look like Pinus parviflora 'Pygmy Yatsubusa'

gardener365
13 years ago

I was corrected that the name of my plant purchased as 'Yatsubusa' of course should be changed to 'Pygmy Yatsubusa'. I read online that 'Pygmy Yatsubusa' grows 2" per year and has foliage like 'Adcock's Dwarf'. On the leader my plant grows a minimum of 6" or more and the branch-tips are growing 4" plus. All the interior "little stuff" ranges 2" to 3". I just want to be positive that I have my plant named correctly.

Dax

{{gwi:674874}}

{{gwi:674875}}

{{gwi:674876}}

{{gwi:674877}}

{{gwi:674878}}

{{gwi:674879}}

Tree was purchased from Stanley & Sons about 8 years ago.

Comments (14)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

for what it is worth.. it is a near duplicate of my adcock's ...

which i got 10 years ago from Al Fournash in OH

ken
    {{gwi:674880}}
    {{gwi:674881}}

• gardener365
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It looks like the right plant then.

Thanks Ken!!!!

Dax

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Not so fast with your conclusion Dax!
    Your's isn't the same as Ken's 'Adcock's Dwarf'.
    Also for sure is that your's isn't a 'Pygmy Yatsubusa', Your's is growing to fast for this cultivar and it's needles are longer, also the needle colour is more green while 'Adcock's Dwarf' needles are blueish.
    This is the true 'Pygmy Yatsubusa'
    {{gwi:674882}}

To me your's look like 'Chikuza-goten'.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe there is a 'Yatsubusa'. I'm going to keep that name, then.

Dax

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Dax, I have both cultivars and I believe you are all right on. 'Yatsubusa' seems to be a little more blue/silver then 'Adcock's Dwarf' with perhaps not as much needle drop and a similar growth rate(2-4" a year). My graft of 'Pygmy yatsubusa' is similarly very dwarf. I'll have to watch it closely to see if it's the same plant as Edwin's. Nice plants regardless Dax/Dave/Edwin!

I loooove Pinus parviflora.

-Will

• gardener365
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They're the shidizzle. Thank ya Will!

Dax

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Dax, Pinus parviflora 'Yatsubusa' doesn't exist...

• maple_grove_gw
    13 years ago

Right now, Stanley and Sons' website indicates that have both P. parviflora "Yatsubusa" and P. parviflora "Pygmy Yatsubusa" as distinct offerings.

Alex

• gardener365
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alex, that's the only basis I have for any name so I must keep it.

I asked Dennis Dodge (who specializes in offerings of parviflora) - he had nothing to add.

Dax

• gardener365
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update

I sent an email asking Bob Fincham, and 'Yasubusa' is a selection 'found and named' as follows:

"Pinus parviflora 'Yatsubusa' was a densely growing tree under that name at Mitsch Nursery when we owned the place in the late 1980's. It was ten feet atll and 6 feet wide. It was densely branched with blue foliage. It was not open like a typical Pinus parviflora. That tree was the one I marketed under the name 'Yatsubusa' (which I believe means many buds) and Larry got his start from that tree. It is distinctive from any other cultivar I have seen." - Bob Fincham

Another solved quite-well...

Dax

• dansgrdn
    13 years ago

Thanks for the update Dax.

Dan

• gardener365
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yepp!

And just so everyone knows regarding the blue color, this plant is very blue, however I have moist loamy/clay and it yellows up some of my conifers. And, I transplanted that tree during December of 2007 and it really shocked the bejeebees out of it. ...it (does) look Sky Blue in other environments, then of my own... and my trees that have yellowed are returning to their correct colors as each year passes, improving upon the plants.

Best Regards,

Dax

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Dax, I still don't believe that your's is a 'Yatsubusa'.
    Bob mentioned that the true 'Yatsubusa' is distinctive from any other Pinus parviflora cultivar he saw.
    Your's doesn't look that differend, there are several others which are looking quite similar.

Another thing about your plant:
    It was grafted on a very thin understock, see your second pic, you didn't plant it deep enough into the ground.
    If I were you I would arrange something to help it from breaking off at it's grafting union in the future...
    Good luck!

• gardener365
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's already been fixed and my plant came from Larry Stanley who was the co-owner with Bob Fincham, at Mitch Nursery. It's absolutely 100% without a doubt, 'Yatsubusa'. It also was very blue for a long time until, I dug it up in the middle of December when it was windy and cold as hell and put it in a car and then shoved it in the ground here. It is a beautiful blue Pinus parviflora.

Hope that helps Edwin.

Best Regards,

Dax