Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmaculata

The tiniest of the tiny

gmaculata
12 years ago

Hello all, I have a small collection of dwarf and miniature conifers. Mostly from Iseli as they are one of the suppliers of my work. I am on the hunt for the tiniest conifers. I grow Bonsai for work so I love the small plants. I would be thankful for any hints of what to look for ar where to look. Thanks! Glen

Comments (17)

• taxo_man
    12 years ago

Cryptomeria japonica 'Tensan'

J

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Jim, it's 'Tenzan'...

Another very tiny and slow growing one is
    Abies lasiocarpa 'DuFlon'
    {{gwi:632404}}

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Picea abies 'Witchel' is super-tiny!

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

you might want to amend your question.. to the tiniest .. that is relatively available ...

sometimes these guys recommend one of a kind plants that are not readily available to the market ... and darn if those are the ones that go on the top of the TO DIE FOR LIST ...

which simply means ... just because you have a name.. or a pic .. OF THE ONLY PLANT IN THE WORLD.. doesnt mean you will find it soon.. for sale ...

there are a couple tiny hemlocks ...maybe T. c. popeleski and everitts golden ... and the green one stockmans dwarf [and no joy.. i am not checking spelling this morning]

a couple tiny P mugo ... mops and megs short needle [and i cant recall what meg wants it called]

i cant remember Dumpy's full name

A.k. Cis

and finally P. A. Dan's Dwarf

if you want to use the GW search.. you might find old posts where i posted pix of all.. if you reply to those.. they will jump to the top of the list.. and i can reload the pix ...

are you familiar with the INTRO to conifers .. and the discussion of annual growth rates.. and what makes them MINI's???

ken

• gardener365
    12 years ago

oops! 'Wichtel'

Here is a link that might be useful: Coenosium Gardens - 'Wichtel'

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

I'll use this thread to post a dozen tiny guys from my garden on Saturday.

-Will

• ricksample
    12 years ago

Abies balsamea 'Jamy' 6" x 6" in 10 years see link. I purchased this sometime last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jamy

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Tsuga canadensis 'Abbott's Pygmy' or 'Minuta'. Should be available from Iseli.

tj

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Rick, it's 'Jamie', which was formerly named 'W.B. 3'.
    This renaming was done by the Iseli Nursery.

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

I have had this little guy for ten years. About 4 inches wide when purchased. Now 8. About an 1 inch a year. Good to zone 3.

Dave

Picea glauca 'Cy's Wonder.

{{gwi:675557}}

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

Awesome Dave, looks like it's 4 years old...

Risking the moderator's wrath, a dozen really little ones I can share:

No particular order.

Picea abies 'Brno'
    {{gwi:675559}}
    Picea abies 'Wichtel'
    {{gwi:675561}}

Abies lasiocarpa 'Siskiyou'(correct spelling).
    {{gwi:675563}}

Pinus sylvestris(probably mugo) 'Hrock'
    {{gwi:675565}}
    Picea sitchensis 'Renken'
    {{gwi:675567}}
    Pinus parviflora 'Mini Curls'
    {{gwi:675568}}
    Abies balsamea 'Jamie' - intentionally photographed with glare to the improper labeling 'Jamy', which as Edwin stated, is incorrect.
    {{gwi:675570}}

Pinus nigra 'Pichounet' I believe pronounced Pitch-o-nay.
    {{gwi:675571}}
    Picea abies 'Thumbelina'
    {{gwi:675572}}

Pinus parviflora 'Tsai's Cushion'
    {{gwi:675573}}
    Picea abies 'Jessy'
    {{gwi:675574}}
    Pinus parviflora 'Richard Lee' - Very hard to establish.
    {{gwi:675575}}
    Abies lasiocarpa 'Lopalpun' -Comfortably under an inch a year.
    {{gwi:675576}}

• arceesmith
    12 years ago

I have information regarding the 'Jamy' vs. 'Jamie' name that should clear things up.

Paul Halladin (propagator at Iseli) gave three WB selections to Thom de Lange in Holland. In 1999, Paul & Eddie Rezek visited Thom. While there, the three gentlemen agreed to name the three plants after Thom's three grandchildren, Jamy, Jessy and Michelle.

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

That is most certainly interesting information though it does not settle things beyond a doubt.

Pinus mugo 'Michelle' and Picea abies 'Jessy' are both Iseli production plants, and both tiny, as is Abies balsamea 'Jamy' *however* without more information regarding which species the WB selection 'Jamy' was that these gentleman named, it does not eliminate the possibility of both a WB named 'Jamie' and 'Jamy'.

It seems 95% certain though that the correct spelling is Abies balsamea 'Jamy' and not Abies balsamea 'Jamie' since the plant looks to have been found at Iseli nursery and was then brought to Holland.

Thanks for the info!

-Will

• arceesmith
    12 years ago

Will, forgive me, I presumed since the plant in question was, Abies balsamea 'Jamy', it wouldn't be required for me to specifically state the genus and species in my post. I have given the history of how 'Jamy' received it's name. If the story, directly from those who originally selected, grow and named the plant is not sufficient, I do not know what else might be needed to make it 100% official.

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

Then I mispoke or didn't comprehend your intent completely! I apologize and will now gladly trumpet the original source history and naming of Abies balsamea 'Jamy'. I also am glad to have waited to keep my tags correct! :)

-Will

• arceesmith
    12 years ago

By the way, Will, I enjoy seeing pictures of your garden and growing conifer collection. I hope I might be able to visit it one day with my camera! Being we are both PNW boys, and I have family up north in WA, perhaps we can make this happen? (I don't ordinarily invite myself to people's gardens, but what can it hurt to try). :^)

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

Of course, my gardens are open for visitors. We've met I believe, at an ACS gathering. Cheers. :)

-Will