Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edbarnes_gw

Topping Green Giant Arborvitae ?

edbarnes
10 years ago

Hello,

I have a row of Green Giant Arborvitae which were primarily planted as an evergreen privacy screen that would be deer resistant. They are currently about 7' tall and stringy up top. I really don't want these to grow higher than 8'. Can I top these and maintain them around 8' tall? I realize it will require a lot of maintenance because of the growth rate, but wanted to know if this would work and not kill the plant. Thank you.

Comments (9)

• edbarnes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When you say shear across the hedge all over, does that mean trim the entire plant like any other formal hedge? Another question... Currently the leader stem on some of these might be around 8', but it's only a single stem. Should I wait until the tree grows a bit higher and them trim across the top so it's a bit thicker up top? Thank you for your reply.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Yes, you will have to shear the whole thing for it to come out nice. And yes, you want to start reducing the height before the desired height is reached - and do not want to keep topping it at the same end point indefinitely - you will still have to let it grow a little bit bigger every year. Ideally you would have started topping and shearing well below the desired eventual height.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

frankly.. its insane.. IMHO ... but they are yours.. so knock yourself out ...

if i wanted something at 8 feet... i would trim it to 6 ... so that it will fill into 8 feet as a hedge ... as noted.. otherwise it will be bald up there ..

ALL TREES .. will releader.. so from this day forward.. you will be cutting out new leaders ...

there are so many arbs.. that would take to this so much easier.. rather than taking what is literally named a giant.. and trying to prune it into dwarf-ness ...

you will also.. probably.. be taking a snow-proof plant.. and giving it the potential for future snow load problems.. but that is speculation ...

i like that you are at least working at a level.. that will allow you to do this from a step ladder .. rather safe ...

as i said.. knock yourself out ... and keep a pictoral record.. so you can become our resident expert on this type of thing..

ken

• edbarnes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's difficult finding a fast growing evergreen hedge that's deer resistant. That's why I chose the Green Giants. I looked at many alternatives and am using some in other areas of the property. I have seen Green Giants successfully grown into a hedge and that's why I'm giving this a try.

Thanks Bboy! Appreciate it.

• HU-234047929
    3 years ago

Wondering how this worked out for you? I see that the original post was 6 years ago!

• Dan Kopach
    3 years ago

Just searched the topic looking for advise, and found this string. Any experience feedback? Mine are around 20'+ and Im topping them down to 14'. They've been trimmed regularly to keep the tree wall thin and neat, but this will be a big move (that should have been done years ago before if became a big cut back).

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

dan.. start your own post.. include some pics ...

how do you plan on working at 14 feet in the air???

agewise.. will you be able to do this every few years.. FOREVER ... what will happen once it becomes a job you have to pay to have done

ken

• Dan Kopach
    3 years ago

Hey Ken, yeah maybe I'll do that. They are impressive specimens. They're beasts! Thanks for the advice. I first thought they would top out at 30' when planted in a row, and I could live with that. But more recent info says they will keep growing to 40-50. So they will need topped. As much as I dont want to, especially knowing it will be every couple years unless at some point I just let them go. How- I have a 10' step ladder, and a pole saw and trimmer, so I can reach 20' without a stretch. 14' gets me just high enough to screen out neighbors.