Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shastensis

Interesting article about Pinus Ponderosa var. willamettensis

shastensis
12 years ago

I guess this is a variety of Ponderosa native to the Willamette valley which able to tolerate conditions that ponderosas from drier areas are not able to, and about how retired loggers are behind the effort to conserve the variety's genetics...

Here is a link that might be useful: High Country News Article

Comments (11)

• wisconsitom
    12 years ago

Very cool, Sluice. Glad to see this happening.

+oM

• wisconsitom
    12 years ago

I mean shastensis!

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Most planted ponderosa (and perhaps most Coulter) pines here in the Seattle area now appear to have a presumably serious needle cast problem, with a large proportion of rust colored foliage. I have assumed the affected ponderosa might all be from outside the area, wondered if the locally native ones could be resistant. We have been in a cool phase since 2006.

I also know of plantings where the trees are in standing water much (most?) of the time, yet look normal. Western Oregon origin stock, adapted to high water tables?

• wisconsitom
    12 years ago

I see ponderosas like that here too, B. In fact, we ended up taking down a couple good-sized ones. Somehow, they were able to live long enough to acquire some size, but looked like crap year in and year out.

Meanwhile, there are some perfectly fine looking ones around too. I became infatuated with this pine enough to include it in my first year of afforestation up at my land. These were of S. Dakota origins and the vendor said these are more acclimated to humidity than those from further west, but not so far west as to be the native Oregon type. So far, and it's only been three years in my ground, they look happy.

+oM

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Have not see same problem with any Jeffrey pine here, a species which I consider to be the superior ornamental tree in other respects as well.

• georgeinbandonoregon
    12 years ago

interesting article. assume that the south dakota strain (possibly from the black hills population?) of ponderosa pine you are planting belong to ssp. scopulorum (aka rocky mtn. ponderosa pine) as oppossed to to the west coast strain ssp. ponderosa of which "willmettensis" might be either a variety (or forma) or a separate subspecies? FWIW, ponderosa pines common companion douglas fir is also divided into a western ssp. (menziesii) and an eastern (glauca) and the eastern form is allegedly also more adaptpable to midwest and eastern conditions than the western.

• wisconsitom
    12 years ago

Yes that's right George. Sometimes though, even experienced tree geeks need to come back down to reality. Since I planted those ponderosas, numerous red pines have also been planted nearby. Turns out there's a reason red pine is so commonly planted here! MUCH greater growth rate being preeminent. But I do like the looks of my (relatively) little ponderosas.

+oM

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Many scopulorum seen in cultivation here, don't know why. Rocky Mountain Douglas fir prone to Rhabdocline in climates moister than its homeland.

• bengz6westmd
    12 years ago

Posted by wisconsitom 4/5 WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 17:28

These were of S. Dakota origins and the vendor said these are more acclimated to humidity than those from further west, but not so far west as to be the native Oregon type. So far, and it's only been three years in my ground, they look happy.

I've got the same hope for a 6' Ponderosa planted ~6 seasons ago. It's OK now, but a ~16' Jeffrey pine planted 8 seasons ago looked fine until just a couple yrs ago. Now it's got needlecast bad & it's climbing up the tree from the lowest branches. This despite me keeping the fallen needles cleared away as best I could. Fungicide isn't a reasonable solution for me.

Interesting that some Ponderosas in WA are getting needlecast.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Around Seattle it seems to be pretty much all. But I have not gone tree to tree, recorded the level of infestation on each.

The closest locally native ones I can think of right off are near Kent. I have not checked these for infestation. Does seem like I saw some problems with native ones south of Tacoma, driving through there on I-5. But, again, I did not take an organized survey, write anything down.

• wisconsitom
    12 years ago

Yeah Beng, likewise for me, extraordinary measures are out of the question. This is a plantation project, not "landscaping". So those poderosas will do whatever they do. My main method of coping with any potential problem is to keep them a small part of the overall project! As in, no more are or will be planted.

+oM