Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrysanth_gw

Recommended evergreen trees for screening in Upstate New York

Chrysanth
11 years ago

Utica, NY (Oneida County): 4B / 5A / 5B

I'm interested in finding a moderately tall, moderately fast-growing evergreen to provide screening for the side of a house - 10 to 12 feet away from the house. I prefer a relatively vertical shape - a little narrow. The base of the tree doesn't have to be full - the windows in question are at a height of 7 feet to 10 feet from the ground. I would like the trees to be tall enough and to be planted densely enough to provide screening at a height up to 9 feet from the ground. I haven't lived in this area in ages. As I drive around here in February, the everGREENS all seem to be a dark grey color with only a tiny hint of olive color to them - but I guess that's still evergreen.

I would like to plant the trees in a row that is somewhat North-South in orientation: going from NNW to SSE. They will have unshaded exposure to the sun.

I'm looking for suggestions. I've done a small amount of research and it follows, but I'm not sure of the accuracy of it.

Pinus Sylvestris Fastigiata, Columnar Scoth Pine, USDA zone 3, H30, W10, full sun

Pinus strobus `Stowe Pillar, Zone 3, 10 year dimensions, 14 ft. x 2 ft., full sun, a Columnar form of eastern white pine, takes a snow load better than fastigiata, conifer

Juniperus communis, Hivernica, conifer, 2.5 m, 0.6 m

Juniperus communis, Cracovica, conifer, 2.5 m, 0.4 m

Juniperus communis, (Compressa?) conifer

DegrootâÂÂs Spire Arborvitae, Mature height 8 - 10 feet, Growth reate: Slow, Partial Shade to Full Sun, Zones 3 - 7

Rocky Mountain Juniper, Juniperus scopulorum, Skyrocket, Height 10-12 ft., 12-15 ft., Hardiness: 3a to 8b, Sun to Partial Shade

pinus strubus fastigiata, columnar white pine, conifer, 4a to 9b, 30 to 40 feet.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Comments (5)