Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oakiris

Thuja occidentalis 'Hetz Midget' - worth growing??

oakiris
13 years ago

I know that this is a very common aborvitae but just wanted opinions as to whether or not it is worthy of a place in the yard. I saw one at Home Depot for $2.50 so it certainly wouldn't be a costly decision...it looked kind of cute to me. lol

So, worth it or to be avoided?

Holly

Comments (21)

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Go for something else...

Dax

• oakiris
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ahhh, not worth growing then. That must be the reason it was so cheap!

Thanks, Dax.

Holly

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

Oh, I dunno. It may have a place in some gardens. ;-)

Here is my 12 year old.

Thuja occidentalis 'Hetz Midget'

{{gwi:241864}}

Every winter the snow splays it open like a daisy and every year it bounces back into shape.

tj

• drrich2
    13 years ago

Dax:

What's the criticism? Something about the plant, a sense that it's 'too common,' or a preference for a similar but better plant?

For me, I'd consider whether I'd like the coloration of a golden globe arborvitae better.

Richard.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

I just thought there were so many other choices for her 'starter' conifer garden. I'm wrong, I'll admit it.

Dax

• oakiris
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just thought there were so many other choices for her 'starter' conifer garden. I'm wrong, I'll admit it.

Hey Dax, I meant no criticism of your dismissal of the plant, but I would like to know what you don't like about it.

I have spent (for me) a lot of $$ on less-common conifers this spring (just received my first order, which was a small order from Coenosium Gardens, on Wednesday :-D ) and can't really afford any more this year, but thought the 'Hetz Midget' would be a decent addition for a more than decent price!

Holly

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    13 years ago

Holly, I think what Dax was insinuating is there are other selections that are not so common to be considered and would provide something unique to your collection. That said - if the plant appeals to you and the price is right for you - go with it. Hetz Midget is a very good plant, easy to maintain and grow, and usually tough as nails.

Marshall

• oakiris
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your encouragement, Marshall. a tree that is a very good plant, easy to maintain and grow, and usually tough as nails sounds like a good recommendation to me.

I know the tree is common, but I don't have one in my yard yet, and haven't seen any in my neighborhood, either! lol

I, too, like rare, choice trees, but thats not to say that some common conifers don't have merit - besides which, I am already spending too much on the uncommon varieties thanks, in part, to Dax the Enabler. :-D

Holly

• gardener365
    13 years ago

ehh, just buy it and stake it with a pretty colored butterfly or somein' ;-)

Dax

• oakiris
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ehh, just buy it and stake it with a pretty colored butterfly or somein' ;-)

What, no suggestion of a stake with a plastic flamingo on it??!? :-D

Holly

Here is a link that might be useful: Flamingo on stake

• noki
    13 years ago

I suppose it gets no respect because it usually is just a filler plant, something people buy cheap to fill up the space in front of the house because they think they are supposed to have a bush there. They don't care what it is, it was cheap.

There are some other short Arbs that offer different textures and colors. 'Rheingold' is a common weird one, which has both juvenile and adult foliage and changes color with the seasons. There are dwarfs that turn purple in winter.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

seriously.. i didnt bother to read most the replies ... but may i yell???

ITS TWO FREAKING FITTY ... crimmeny ... splurge.. buy 2 ..

and when they displease you.. GET RID OF THEM ...

stupid midget haters ...

the pot alone is worth two fitty ...

its hard not cursing.. put it in a hypertofa pot.. and root prune it once a year.. and make a bonsai midget ...

did you really walk away from a two fitty conifer????

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

forget the darn conifer in your pic.. that spilt milk is AWESOME ...

ken

• oakiris
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL ken! Yes, I am ashamed to say that I did indeed walk away from a conifer that cost $2.50. I even had the tree on my flat bed cart at one point, and then put it back... Sigh...

I guess I don't deserve to buy a midget conifer, but if I come across it again, I probably will buy it anyway, deserving or not. :-D

Holly

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

".. that spilt milk is AWESOME ... "

Thanks, Ken. Coming from a connoisseur of hosta such as yourself, that carries significant weight.

tj

• oakiris
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I went back to HD to check on the 'Hetz Midget.' The price was now $6, and yes, I still passed it up. I went to a "real" nursery and ended up buying a Picea pungens 'The Blues' instead - a bit more pricey but only $33, and I was very happy to find it.

I will continue to look locally for a more interesting arborvitae cultivar.

Holly

• blue_yew
    13 years ago

There is a nice blue form called Thuja occidentalis 'Rynia'
    photos were posted on this forum.Its one im after.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Holly, you know you're alright, you have my blessing.

Dax

• oakiris
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There is a nice blue form called Thuja occidentalis 'Rynia'
    photos were posted on this forum.Its one im after. I did a search here for this cultivar and found this thread - Breeders Hall Wouldn't you know, the link for the picture of the 'Rynia' was no longer working. I did a google search, found a few pictures that were supposed to be the 'Rynia' but it didn't look blue in any of them. The majority of the references were Hungarian, too, so this cultivar probably isn't available in the USA where I live. Hope you find one though, blue_yew.

Holly, you know you're alright, you have my blessing.

:-D :-D Thanks, Dax, I will bask in your approval! lol

Holly

• samantha214
    10 years ago

Holly, here's a photo of my Hetz, which I bought from Lowe's last fall. I paid $3-bucks for mine. The color is a deep green and beautiful. My fenced side-yard is small, so that's why I chose it. Also, the needles are extra soft and will be safe for my tiny dogs.....so they won't accidentally get their eyes scratched if they run into it. Tee-hee. (The other reason I bought it.)
    I think they're adorable little evergreens. Slow growers I've heard. There is only 1/8" growth on mine so far this Spring. I've read it needs to be watered a lot it's first year. Probably true. We've had tons of rain (breaking records) the past few weeks, and the new growth only began after the first downpour.
    Bottom line, I recommend this little guy. Very cute!