Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Serbian Spruce has deer-rubbed branches in the middle. Pruning Q

Posted by meredith_e 7B Piedmont NC (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 0:57

I have two with the problem. One never regrew any of the middle branches all last year, after being rubbed the winter before this one. The one rubbed this winter may act similarly, I take it now.

They are both about 3 feet tall, but their calipers are getting a bit large to feel good about just hacking off the top and making a new leader (without expert advice). Their leaders are doing great, btw, lol. So are the bottom branches. Lovely, in fact :)

I do not know anything about pruning these. Conifers intimidate me that way. I had hoped the other would just fill in by itself, at least a little, and then I'd think of pruning. It didn't fill in any. Help!

Oh, and I'll definitely start protecting my spruces from this! I thought the 2nd victim was safe in its location, but I now realize that my deer have gotten more and more bold the more I plant (naturally). It's a regular buffet here now!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Serbian Spruce has deer-rubbed branches in the middle. Prunin

we really need a pic.. to understand this...

most conifers do NOT have dormant buds... which can trigger.. to fill in spots .. like other trees or shrubs ...

so you might be looking at this bald patch for a lot of years before the tree droops larger branches above.. down into the bare part ...

and if that is true.. then its all about whether you want to look at it .. for that long ..

again.. all pure speculation.. w/o a pic ...

all that said.. when this thing is a hundred feet tall ... that spot will not be an issue ... but can you wait that long ...

ken

o

I can't wait till it's quite that tall, lol. I could wait a long time if it will end up looking like something. My gardens are not very mature, so many things look a little silly right now (the spacing looks like too much in between small plants, etc).

Dumb question here: will that spot stay at the same height it is now, or close to it? Will the tree just grow taller from above the bad spot? That might work fine if so. The lower branches want to spread a lot, so if that is going to happen above the bad spot, I get what you are saying about the drooping. Yay!

I don't have a photo account I can use, but the trees look a LOT like this one, but mine are a little smaller and the bare spot isn't so large (but it's still quite noticeable at this point). The lower branches on mine already spread more than on this one, too:

http://www.windbreaktrees.com/images/not_04.jpg

Thanks! Any tips or suggestions very welcomed. Like I say, I don't know much at all about how large conifers grow! I'm used to shrubby junipers :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mine look very much like this

o

tree trunks do not grow up.. they expand out ... thicken

all height is achieved from the buds at the top elongating ...

get us a pic.. if and when you can ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here