Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dustien_gw

Identify a Drought Lost Connifer to Replant...

dustien
11 years ago

We had a little 5ft pine type tree that was over 13 yrs old right outside our side garage door. It was in an area that received maybe only 5 or so hours a day of sunlight on one side and was against the house on the other side. The rest of the day it was in indirect sunlight.

Every year the cardinals would build a nest in the three and didn't mind at all if we were often checking them out during the season. We watched brood after brood, year after year, successful grow in their nests.

Sadly, the drought took our little cardinal nursery. We had to cut it down this spring as 75% of the branches had died during late summer and thru the winter. By the time we noticed it was in distress we tried watering it but it was too late.

I'd like to replant it, but I've no idea what it was... We live in Northwest Arkansas, with very rocky ground. Plus there's the fact that my husband cut if off too low to easily pull the stump out of the ground, so I'm not sure I will even be able plant another tree there. But in case we can, I'd sure like to know what little conifer it was. Oh, the needles were pretty soft, not pricky.

I have a kinda picture of it... last spring I videoed the parents feeding the very last brood ever in our little tree. I don't know if you'll be able to tell the species by watching this video, but it's worth a try. It's a cute video, and you'll see why I so want to plan another tree. The parents looked for the tree this year and it was sad to watch them checking out the holly nearby and deciding it wouldn't work for a nest.

Here is a link that might be useful: You Tube Cardinals Feeding Babies

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath