Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liopleurodon

Are these special?

liopleurodon
10 years ago

Hi!

Can you please give your opinion on whether these two are anything special? I'm still rather new so my eyes aren't as trained in spotting such things yet. :)

The first one is a yellow coloured one. My ID'ing comes short here though.
The others next to it had a normal colour, and the tree itself looked healthy.
{{gwi:678344}}

{{gwi:678345}}

The second one is P. abies (I think). The top looks like some mutation took place there. Is this a broom? Or is this just a tree with an unhealthy top?

{{gwi:678348}}

{{gwi:678350}}

So my questions:
Are any of these special?
What is the ID of the first one?

Thanks a lot!
Alexander

This post was edited by liopleurodon on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 4:41

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hard to tell on the second.. whether it is a broom.. or multiple leaders.. at this time

ken

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

Your golden tree looks like it might be Abies grandis.. If you could compare a branch from that tree with a species A. grandis, you would be able to tell if it was a special color.

Sadly, that is not a broom in the Norway spruce, however.

-Sam

• liopleurodon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken & Sam, thanks for your answers.
    The Norway Spruce won't be anything then (sadly).

I thought it would be Abies too, but then I saw a cone hanging in the upper right corner on another tree which I think was the same species. Here it is enlarged:
    {{gwi:678353}}

I also made a picture of both the tree and it's neighbour which most likely were the same species. They looked completely the same, apart from the colour. In reality the colour difference was even more visible.
    {{gwi:678356}}

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

Two different genera. The one with the hanging cones is definitely Picea abies, and the golden one is definitely an Abies.. might be nordmanniana.. and it looks very promising to be a bright gold one!

-Sam

• liopleurodon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now that you say it... I really feel stupid, it's another species indeed. :p I assumed they were the same because they were growing together and I didn't have a clear view of the tree itself when I was there.

Good to know that it looks promising!
    Perhaps I'll use this tree for a first (attempt to) rooting somewhere in the future.
    The tree itself is about 150 miles away from me... but I took the advice of Edwin and wrote the GPS coordinates down, so finding it back won't be a problem. :)

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

That was a very good idea, indeed!
    However, you will have little to no success rooting Abies.
    Grafting will be much more successful.

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Liop, the colour of the Abies looks promising, it's not to yellow so there's a little chance of needle burning.

Also to me it looks like an Abies nordmanniana, but it's hard to tell from your pics.
    Please, for a next time take also some detail pics of it's needles and buds.
    Then it's easier for us to determinate which species it is exactly...

• liopleurodon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edwin and Sam, thank you for your answers.

How small would the success be in rooting it? More like 1 in 5 of 1 in 100 so to speak?
    Grafting won't be for me now because of a lack in experience, maybe in a few years.

I also have another picture where needles and buds are better visible:
    {{gwi:678358}}

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Liop, the chances for successful rooting this Abies is less then 5 percent.
    Why don't you send me some scions, grafting time isn't over for me yet...

The needles looks like an Abies nordmanniana to me, Abies alba is also possible.
    The buds are not verry clear, that's is why I'm not sure.

From this pic it's needle colour looks more yellow which makes it more intersting to propagate it in the right way with a bigger chance of success.

• liopleurodon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edwin, that would be great if you would graft it. :)
    Unfortunately the specific tree is at quite some distance from where I live, and since Easter holidays are over I won't have the opportunity to collect some scions until the end of June.

In which period can scions be collected? Is there any way to conserve them until grafting season starts?

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Liop, if this can't be done now, you've to wait untill the first week of January, which is a very longgggg time if you've to wait until that time.
    The good thing about it is that you've another holiday then ;0)