Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ndas2976

Abies procera 'Blaue Hexe' placement

ndas2976
11 years ago

I recently acquired a beautiful 2 gallon Abies p. 'Blaue Hexe'. I have two spots where I can plant it. The first spot it would be in full sun from sunrise to sunset. The second spot gets morning sun til about 1pm, then shade til about 5:30, then sun again as it is setting. I want to be able to give it the best chance of surviving.

Comments (12)

• ndas2976
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are some photos.

• ndas2976
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Photo 2

• texjagman
    11 years ago

They don't like blazing heat which you shouldn't experience in New Jersey. But if you've got a nice sunny spot that gets dappled or afternoon shade that would make sure it does well.....at least that has been my experience in blazing Oklahoma.

That two gallon size is a nice one. Did you get that at a local nursery or mail order?

mark

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

That's an outstanding looking plant! Congratulations for finding a specimen that's so large and healthy. Now the hard part (for you). Do you know what rootstock it's grafted onto? This could be crucial if you're in NJ where your handle implies.

Firs in general and Abies procera specifically can be extremely fussy. As far as your choices for siting, I'd go with the second as they don't care for extreme heat and humidity. Ideally their roots should be able to cool down into the 60s every night like it does in the Cascade and Rocky mountains out west. During hot spells, I have actually put ice around the bases of my proceras and lasiocarpas at nights when it doesn't look like it's not going to drop below 70F.

Also being a western plant, it's used to a Mediterranean climate, meaning little summer rain. You'll need to plant it in as well-drained a location as is feasible.

I wish you luck; you have a project on your hands.
    ~Dave

• ndas2976
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mark- it came from Conifer Kingdom

• ndas2976
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave - no I don't know the root stock. I bought it from Conifer Kingdom. Maybe Sam will chime in and provide that info if he knows.

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Nice specimen!

Definitely the second site...it will appreciate a break from midday sun in July and August.

What is the soil like where it will be planted? As already mentioned, the key to success will be a moist but well-drained site. Emphasis here on well-drained (but don't let it completely dry out either).

Best of luck.

Alex

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Thats a real beauty! I would consider a shade cloth of sorts during the worst heat of the summer if spot #1 was choosen. You only get one shot at this.Its worth the effort.
    `AL

• ndas2976
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The second site has well drained soil that remains moist and mulched. It would be going in the same area as my
    Acer palmatum 'Beni Otake'
    Acer palmatum 'Corallinum'
    Cedrus deodara 'Silver Mist'
    Pinus parviflora 'Fuku-zu-mi'
    Pinus parviflora 'Goldylocks'
    Those all seem to be doing pretty well (now that I just jinxed myself).

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

An outstanding specimen. I'll second Dave's suggestion of the part-sun spot. It will still get plenty of sunlight to look well enough and HOPEFULLY enough cooling from not being in your 90-100 degree heat Summers.

Drainage is key but so to is watering a large specimen like that. You'll want to make sure it doesn't go too long WITHOUT water as well.

That is one damn fine specimen too, Conifer Kingdom's putting out some tremendous selection/quality.

-Will

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Hello, your specimen is grafted on Abies firma understock. This is the best kind of understock for this cultivar! Hopefully it will live past the age of my late specimen that was unfortunately grafted on a less-appropriate rootstock.

I hope it grows well for you, and some shade during the heat of the day is beneficial, indeed.

-Sam

• ndas2976
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to make it's home in spot 2.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting