Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauranh_gw

Where are great conifer gardens in MA and NH?

lauranh
9 years ago

I live in southern Nh about an hour out of boston and am trying to add conifers to my landscape. Appreciate any suggestions on good nurseries or gardens to visit.

Comments (6)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    9 years ago

Join the ACS and you'll have access to lots of private gardens with large collections, plus folks who can share their experiences with plants in your climate. There is a section on the ACS website specifically for the Northeastern Region.
    Cheers!
    Sara

Here is a link that might be useful: American Conifer Society

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

The Arnold Arboretum, obviously.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    9 years ago

The Arnold probably does not have a large collection of cultivars, which is what most people would be looking to plant in their gardens. Some big arboreta have dwarf conifer collections (SFBG and MCBG out in this area) but it is the exception, not the rule.

• kmanzfive laknee
    9 years ago

There are none!!!! I live in Nashua NH and to be honest I have never been or heard of conifer gardens in our area. If you like to travel. Cady Falls Nursery in Vermont is one of the best I have ever seen....spectacular!!!! Its a 2 1/2 to 3 hour ride one way and well worth it. One town over from Cady Falls is Kate Brook Nursery conifers only and is great. The Arnold Arboretum is nothing all that special in my eyes....hope I don't tick anyone off by saying that. (it is a nice park)The Conifer Connection in Plympton Ma is nice as well as Katura Gardens. Quackn Grass, Jays Nursery and Broken Arrow Nurseries are very nice. They are in CT. OOOPs.... almost forgot Mason Hollow Nursery in Mason NH have a nice assortment of conifers but they specialize in hostas...that's a nice place to visit. I'm a professional landscaper(take it with a grain of salt) and have been in the field for 25 years or so.....you just don't see it here. You will see a blue spruce as a focal point in some places and a occasional Hinoki Cypress. If you like Arborvitaes and Yews you will see a ton of them. Even rock gardens here.... contain only phlox and a couple semps and that's it. Hate to be a buzz kill but you will have to travel.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

I've been there a couple times and I was aware the Arnold Arboretum didn't have an extensive collection of dwarf conifers. However the OP gave no indication of whether they were landscaping 0.2 acres or 20 acres. It does have beautiful large conifers.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 17:03

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    9 years ago

Even on 20 acres most people are looking for cultivars. Yes, it's true, some are after species plants, but it's the exception in my experience. A quick glance at the ACS membership directory shows a couple of dozen private gardens in MA and NH available for visits (and most of the others with decent collections likely are, too). Those folks also know where to source plants. Good luck and have fun!

Sara