Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thetman_gw

planting on leeching field

thetman
11 years ago

I was wondering of anyone has planted any type of conifer tree on a septic leeching field. I know some maples and poplars can be more evasive, but I was wondering if something like a green giant or spruce would be okay. Its a newer system ( no old clay pipes) and I believe that most roots will stay in the first 15 inches of soil or so to get the nutrients and oxygen. thoughts? The tank would be approximately 20-25ft away. thanks

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey .. mr T ....

you ask about a leech field.. and then tell us where the tank is... which is it ...

a weep field.. by definition has holes..... else how would it weep?? .. eh?? .. and if there is a source of water and nutrients.. trees will find it ... perhaps just an issue of how many decades ....

you are confusing a sealed SEWER ... with the field.. two different worlds ... it doesnt matter how new a leech field is ....

and you dont mention how deep the field is.. mine is only about 24 inches down.. and i bet the gravel is only 12 inches down ...

but with fields running.. in the 5 to 10 thousand dollar range.. i really dont know what you are thinking..

especially with a tree that has GIANT ... in its name ...

are you really this starved for space.. that you have to plant in this area???

i have no sources.. but would think.. a nice mini collection could be had in the area...

but not things i think of as forest trees ... aka species trees..

ken

• fairfield8619
    11 years ago

I wouldn't deliberately plant a big tree over the lines. I think I planted the Cathaya between the lines here, I wondered why it drained incredibley fast. They apparently snaked the lines through the pines, all 440ft of them back in 1960. I never hit any gravel when digging the hole though. It hasn't seemed to hurt the field but this is after the trees were already big, but I still would not do it just for good measure.
    Around here per the EPA, no field lines can be installed anymore, it all has to be the aeration systems. Everything gets digested and sprayed on the surface now through sprinklers.

• thetman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well I was actually thinking more towards the end of the leeching filed with the tank being roughly 25ft away from the area I was thinking of planting. This is actually the narrowest part of the property and was looking for some additional privacy I guess. I guess I'll have to figure something else out

• scotjute Z8
    11 years ago

I would not plant trees closer than 50' away from the perforated pipe in the field. The preference would be for smaller/slower-growing trees even then. The usual recommendation is for grass over the leaching/drain field, no shrubs or trees.

• thetman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know I have already planted some stuff closer than 50ft to the field- but nothing directly over it ( just grass now). So I think its best to leave it be then. I guess my neighbor is in trouble then, he's planted some spruce, leyland etc on or right near his field ( but his area is much smaller than mine). I believe green giants are the closest tree I have planted anywhere near that area (probably 20ft. away or so from the field).

• ricksample
    11 years ago

I have a couple of neighbors who have planted pines directly on top of there leach field. Right now they are about 15' tall... I bet given enough time they will be digging it up and putting in a new one. People think the trees will help soak up the water... in reality there roots will travel in the system and clog it. The leach field pipes are large themselves... but the white plastic pipe that flows the water into the leach field is only 4" in diameter. It wouldn't take much for roots to travel to that opening and clog it.

Depending on the tree and how long you plan to live there, I would say a safe bet would be around 25-30 feet.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    11 years ago

The previous owners placed a LARGE oak near my leach field. When I moved into the house I could tell the septic had just been repaired.

While not a death sentence it is just silly to plant on or in the field.

Of course our local politicians rezone the floodplain for malls and industrial developments. The United States has plenty of high ground. That flood plain risk just is not necessary All my life folks have been sandbagging the same places. Guess humans are incapable of learning.

You say your neighbors have planted in their drain fields huh. Why do that to yourself or the next owners.

• thetman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well I've been reading alot on this- mostly say don't do it ( I won't) saw a few saying differently:
    http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/qa/roots-septic-systems.aspx

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey T ..

how about a new post.. with a pic of the spot.. and let us see what ideas we can come up with..

rather than simply rejection your idea ...

ken

• thetman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the best shot I have now- still at work now ( will this day ever end?) I could probably take a better one this weekend ( getting home late tomorrow too, yeah!) You'll probably tell me I have enough GG's already. What is one more row going to hurt! it would be the area at the far end-maybe another row or fill in a few more spots. I ruled out placing anything directly on top of the field. I think the filed ends about 15ft or so from the row of GG's I have now.

{{gwi:678635}}

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/34es1ah.jpg[/IMG]