Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m1chael_lou

Need different evergreen / Help Please?

m1chael
11 years ago

All-

As you can see from the attached pics, we planted these (alberta spruce..I think) last spring and they all died in about 2 or 3 months for whatever reason.

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq36/michael-dd/2012-04-29_11-32-34_469_zps2258fb41.jpg

Not sure if it was due to disease or bug problem (I don't think it was because I often did the white paper trick and saw no mites) but may be because of the intense heat during the summer? Not sure....

Anyway, we want to put something else in these containers (preferably evergreen) so they stay green even in winter and need some assistance on what will do well for containers and in this particular environment. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks......

Comments (7)

• m1chael
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

http://s431.photobucket.com/user/michael-dd/media/2012-04-29_11-32-34_469_zps2258fb41.jpg.html

The link above was not working...please use this link to view the picture.

Sorry about that......

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

no luck again..

in PBucket .... find the HTML code for the pic ..... right hand column ...... copy/paste it right here.. where you type ...

when you hit preview .... if you see it.. we will see it ...

and add what your basic soil type is .... and where you are ... [of course DE isnt that big .. lol] ....

ken

• m1chael
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:679780}}

ken_adrian -

I just attached the HTML code for the pic as you requested. This is for the containers right outside my garage as you will see in the pics...I think I just used MG for plants / shrubs or whatever.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.....

• m1chael
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bump....would really like some advice on what to plant.

Thanks.....

• sluice
    11 years ago

I don't have a suggestion for what conifer might work in DE.

Might try using something other than (in addition to) the MG.

For example, check out 'gritty mix' on the container forum.

Good luck!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

well.. we are making progress ...

lets start with the word evergreen.. there are a wide spectrum of plants that are such.. and you are in the conifer forum.. and that is the correct word ... here ... and believe it or not.. they are NOT all evergreen .. go figure on that ...

your base problem.. is the heat of that driveway ... conifers.. as trees.. would prefer cool damp soil [not sodden] ... for happy, happy roots ... as you can contemplate.. those TINY pots.. on that massive blacktop are.. most likely NOT COOL.. ever ... as the blacktop can retain heat.. very late into darkness ...

so.. somehow or another we need to figure out that variable ...

second sluice nails it .... on your potting media ... i dont know where you defined MG.. but shall i presume you mean miracle grow potting media ... NOT GOOD ... especially if it has fertilizer already in it ... with conifers/trees in pots.. the key is high drainage .. they like a sip of water.. and then near total drainage [which of course is highly complicated by the heat, as per above] ... MG is extremely high in peat.. which holds extreme amounts of water .. which is wonderful for annuals/perennials/houseplants... but not close to what a conifer/tree needs ... and recently transplanted conifers.. really should not have fert ...

BTW .. do those urns actually have drainage.. or are they a bathtub of sorts ... that is a real problem.. if they do NOT ...

so .. to alleviate heat.. and time in between waterings ...and you might not like this due to cost ..... i would probably suggest pots THREE TIMES THE SIZE ... pots nearly as wide as the right two panels...

and if you could.. i would suggest that after transplanting new plants into them.. you leave them in shade for a few weeks to get acclimated to the new pot.. before the blistering sun/heat gets them.. the BIG PROBLEM there would be.. and i have no answer.. HOW YOU MOVE POTS OF THAT SIZE ... of which the solution might be a fall or late winter planting.. so they have time to get the roots pumping before the high heat of summer ... we like to say.. with trees/conifers that TIMING IS EVERYTHING... and summer is not plating time for such ....

finally.. how often.. and how well you water is going to be very important .... these are NEVER going to be a plant and forget application ... no one.. but you and your finger.. are going to be able to interpret when your pots need water.. and sooner or later.. you will learn how often to water ....

i almost want to tell you that your problem.. is the site.. and everything is going to be a challenge there ...

i wonder if some bird netting ... and annual vines.. might not be a much more forgiving situation ... the only question would be how to attach the netting.. or a lattice to hold the stuff.. see.. no matter which direction i go.. i run into a problem.. based on that giant black pad ...

i might suggest.. that you try the landscape forum.. perhaps others have solved this conundrum ...

and i wonder.. more facts please.. with the expanse of that pavement... is this a common drive.. in a condo community ...a garage courtyard??? ... if so.. are there any restrictions on what you can do ... HOA??? .. i would hate to solve this problem.. only to be told you broke the rules

well.. you worked so hard to get the pix up.. i felt necessary to explain beyond telling you to give up.. and wish you luck ... it wont be easy.. but by perfecting the variables above.. you ought to be able to at least understand where the problems are..

good luck..

ken

ps: if anyone in the area has solved this problem.. snap some pix.. and maybe we can intuit from there ...

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Juniperus chinensis 'Kaizuka' is ideal. Being a Juniper it will withstand heat much better than the juvenile foliage of Alberta spruce, and, 'Kaizuka' is one used for pots with frequency. You have a lot of heat coming in there with your blacktop.

Evergreen Nursery sells them at the size and they have several other Juniper that will do the same job. Great prices! Any Juniper species that's J.scopulorum stay away from those.... they won't cope with humidity. 'Robusta Green' looks perfect for you, as well.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Evergreen Nursery