Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ndas2976

Pinus parviflora 'Blue Dwarf'

ndas2976
11 years ago

My nursery has one but they can't privide any info on it, just that they got it from European Nursery. I tried looking online and nothing comes up. Can someone please provide me with some info on this tree. I'm thinking that it might be mislabeled.

Comments (14)

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Probably a mistake for Pinus pumila 'Dwarf Blue' which is also often misslabeld as 'Blue Dwarf'...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i have guests coming today.. pic tomorrow??

ken

10 years ago

from gee tree 2003 .. due to the ONLY tree the kids can climb... the nearby apple.. it is in near full shade most of the day ... no more current pic .... ken

{{gwi:679946}}

2008 ..
    {{gwi:679947}}

• ndas2976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are some photos of the so called Pinus parviflora 'Blue Dwarf'. Maybe someone might be able to provide the right name.

• ndas2976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Photo #2

• ndas2976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Photo #3

• gardener365
    10 years ago

That's Pinus parviflora. Never heard of 'Blue Dwarf'. And so the orchestra keeps playing.......

Dax

• alpestris
    10 years ago

Appears to be a miss label. I got mine from Jan as well at European N. a few years ago and he had told me it was a parviflora too... clearly it appears it is not. Mine has the distinct red cones in spring, depicted below. Shortly after my purchase I snaped some photos at the Oregon Gardens which has a larger specimen. Should be Pinus pumila 'Dwarf Blue'

Anton

{{gwi:679949}}

{{gwi:679952}}

Look it's me pointing - saying "yes it is the same plant Jill'
    {{gwi:679954}}

{{gwi:679956}}

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

Anton, your lovely plant is indeed a Pinus pumila, but the one that he shows us is in fact a parviflora...

(Your plant looks perfect, btw!)

-Sam

10 years ago

compare yours... to P. parv. Glauca ....

glauca meaning blue ...

and it is a dwarf ...

so i can see a bastardization of the tag name ...

regardless of its name.. its a nice plant.. depending on what they want for it .. at that size ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ndas2976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response.
    Ken - the nursery has it in a 12" box and wants $200 for it. I was only considering it if it was a Pinus parviflora that wasn't that common. Plus I really would like to know the actual name for my records to make sure I don't double up on what I have.

• clement_2006
    10 years ago

Blue Dwarf = Glauca Nana
    Pinus parviflora "Glauca Nana" exist maybe just a translation ??

Clement

10 years ago

for $200 bucks... i would invest in something much more rare and precious .... than a plain old blue parv ..

i have a thing for blue plants.. and i bought about 8 of them.. 10 years back..

and frankly.. if i shuffled them.. i doubt anyone but joy could tell them apart ...

so they are not in the realm of what i call rare .. nor precious ...

NOTE: i didnt say i wouldnt spend the dough ... lol ...

ken

• ndas2976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken - I agree with you. I was only going to pick it up if it wasn't that common. If it truly is a Gluca Nana I can get that any time, no need to rush out and grab it.