Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Metasequoia glyptostroboides

Posted by dcsteg 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 9:52

I have 3.

They are about 3 weeks ahead of last year in bud break.

'Ogon' about half way extended.

'Miss Grace all they way.

'North Light' half in... broken bud with some leaf extension.

Enjoy

Dave

'Ogon' Grew 3 ft. last year. Will burn first year in my Kansas Zone 5. Nothing to worry about. It will bounce right back next year with no burn. Good to -20. Yellow color holds all summer.

Metasequoia glyptostrobides 'Ogon'

'Miss Grace'

A small conifer with gracefully-weeping branches. Refined gray/green foliage in the summer, strong orange in autumn. If staked 8 ft. tall x 3 wide in 10 years. Hardy to -20 Zone 5. Introduced by Flora Wonder(tm)Collection of Buchholz Nursery.

Metasequoia glyotostroboides  'Miss Grace'

'North Light' (aka Schirrmann's Nordlicht)'
Known in Europe as 'Schirrmann's Nordlicht'. A delightful dwarf originating as a witch's broom mutation on M.g. 'White Spot'. Forms a dense round ball with pretty cream-white needles. Prefers full sun in well-drained soil. 2.5' tall x 2.5' wide in 10 years. Hardy to -20 degrees. USDA zone 5.

Metasequoia glyptostrobides  'North Light'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Metasequoia glyptostroboides

Great pics!! I really like all of your dawn redwoods.. I'll post my "Golden Dawn" and "Waasland" soon..

Jeff

o

I agree, they look great.

Dax

o

Nice specimens Dave.
Please rename 'North Light' into 'Schirrmann's Nordlicht' which is the original name given to this conifer.
It was found as a witches' broom on a 'White Spot' by my German friend Winfried Schirrmann.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 16:16

'Schirrmann's Nordlicht' looks great...I love those stout branches on that dwarf plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here