Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Info on Cypress cultivar Irish Eyes

Posted by karategirl KY (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 07 at 9:59

Hi,
My local home improvement store carries a cypress variety called Irish Eyes, the botanical name is cupressocyparis leylandii. The product tag on this particular plant states that it grows to a maximum height of 25 feet tall. Is this a different variety from the standard Leyland cypress? I know the Leyland gets to be anywhere from 50-60 feet tall. I've done numerous seaches on the Irish Eyes name and cypress, but can't seem to find any info on it. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about this particular cultivar as I'm not wanting the larger variety of cypress.

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Info on Cypress cultivar Irish Eyes

The link below is the only info I could find, and it is highly suspect - any conifer that is "a very fast grower" isn't going to stop suddenly at the height they claim.

BTW, Leyland Cypress can get to 35 metres tall . . .

Resin

Here is a link that might be useful: meansnursery.com - 'Irish Eyes'

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 19, 07 at 12:02

Those 'Irish Eyes' will be smilin' if you plant them expecting a mere 25 ft. tree.

o

Hi,
I have been trying to find these trees, they had them at our local big box store, but they were only about a foot tall, where did you find these? Have you found any other info on them.

o

You could try emailing Cox Arboretum in Georgia. They specialize in plantings of leylandii.

Dax

o

Here is a funny and informative web page on these things. Based on what I read there, I wouldn't plant one, though they look really tempting at the Home Depot.

http://home.clara.net/tmac/urgring/faqleyld.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here