Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Picea abies 'Will's Zwerg'

outback63 Dennison
11 years ago

A former post by Edwin.

Posted by coniferjoy (My Page) on

Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 17:17

Severnside, the 'Will's Zwerg' aka 'Obergaertner Bruns' isn't a dwarf, it will grow into a tree of several metres high.
It's cultivar name is badly chosen because "zwerg" means "dwarf" which it isn't...

Edwin I am a little confused.

My 'Will's Zwerg' only put on a maximum of 1-2 inches (2.54 - 5.08 cm ) a year. I did notice for the first time main leader growth of 3 inches ( 7.62 cm) last year. I have had this cultivar 10 years and it is now 5 ft. tall ( 1.52 m). Hasn't changed much in that time frame.

You say it isn't a dwarf. OK. At that rate of growth for this cultivar it could remain a dwarf for many many years assuming you started with a 1 gal. specimen. Sooner or later I suppose most cultivars called dwarf will cease to be that if they live long enough. Is there a certain growth/height to be achieved that a cultivar considered a dwarf ceases to be that? Just gauging the rate of growth of mine it has to be older then me and I got one foot on a banana peel and the other foot in the grave.

As Edwin knows I purchased this conifer from Iseli.

I wanted 'Hillside Upright' and they sent me this. For years I didn't know what it was until Edwin steped up to identify it. I have never seen it for sale in the Midwest USA... ever. Iseli doesn't advertise it for sale. Another story for sure. Who, what, when, where...Iseli are you going to make set the record straight? Is there a 'Hillside Upright' in my future? RC you here? Did you ship me your one and only 'Will's Zwerg' by mistake? Just kidding. The 'Will's Zwerg' is a much cooler cultivar the 'Hillside Upright' and it can stay in my small garden for ever.

Picea abies 'Will's Zwerg'

{{gwi:680468}}

Comments (3)