Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinus ayacahuite seedling....

Posted by conifer50 6b/7aGA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 10:20

...grown from seed received from Masonic Villages, Elizabethtown PA. This is the only plant with this unusual pink coloration...probably a hybrid?

Johnny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinus ayacahuite seedling....

I've read white pines hybridize easily. Could just be a random mutation too though. Are the needles in bundles of five?

o

Yes it's a 5 needle pine...there a Pinus wallichiana beside the parent tree and I'm sure Pinus strobus are in close proximity.

Johnny

o

Well then thats an interesting tree then. It has happened before. Search for 'holford pine'.

o

I've seen pink colors like that with parviflora, Johnny.

Dax

o

Hi Dax, I think parvifloria is present there also. What's that cross called?

Johnny

o

I don't know that it is called anything... One plus may be that the Asian species might be resistant to white pine blister rust.

o

I don't know the answer Johnny. The only hybrid of parviflora "that I'm aware of" is 'Negishii'. Edwin stated it's Pinus parviflora x pumilla 'Negishii'.

Dax

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 8:25

Nice. For info, my pure Bhutan pine (P wallichiana) came thru this winter w/no problem, even tho it's small & still recovering from a nasty transplant. Even expanding its buds alittle already.

o

Also interesting that most of or many of your seedlings could be hybrids. Pines are reluctant to "self" and tend to outbreed. If the seed tree is surrounded by other white pines, no telling what they are exactly. But that's really interesting in my opinion. If you have the room plant them all out, see what lives...

o

Wow. I feel like driving up to Elizabethtown and looking for a cone! In fact I was about to do it tomorrow to buy raw milk from the Amish, but the place I use is much closer to me on the southern side of Lanc. Co.

o

some time ago I asked about a p.parviflora and p. strobus cross and Resin called it Pinus × hunnewellii.

Marshall

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here