Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midwestguy33

Frasier Fir - Will they survive?

midwestguy33
11 years ago

I recently planted three frasier fir seedlings I purchased from the University of Idaho. Yesterday I noticed that the needles are starting to turn brown. Is there anything I can do to help them survive?

Comments (14)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

digging.. shipping. or planting stress.. probably all three ...

i presume its dormant.. not flushed out .... if so ...

life is in the buds ..

did you plant them outside????

water properly for a conifer/tree.. and wait for them to bud out...

more info... if you want more speculation.. a pic would sure help ... and but for telling us there is some browning.. you really havent told us what you have done with them since you got them...

ken

• midwestguy33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I received them and planted them in a pot in the garage in a mixture of soil and mulch until the ground thawed. They were not budded out (still aren't). I planted them outside once the ground was thawed and workable (last week-they looked very healthy at this point). I mulched around them and watered (it's rained a number of times since and been in the 50's and 60's). I will try and post pics tonight.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

"...a mixture of soil and mulch..."

Define "soil" please and how long were they potted before planting out?

tj

• midwestguy33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Promix soil mixed with mulch and maybe a week or two.

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

Give them a chance to bud out - They ought to do fine. There are some really nice specimens in the Appalachian collection at the Morton Arboretum, so they ought to do alright up there.

I've switched to Canaan fir - They seem to take our climate better.

• gardener365
    11 years ago

I see a seedling with some power to it!

Looks great. No sweat man.

Dax

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

UIdaho seedlings are definitely the way to go if you're needing straight species (not cultivars) - I've been impressed with the branching and bud set - Definitely superior to bare root.

Good luck with your frasers - I've never succeeded in growing them, but they are beautiful trees with the most delicious, piney aroma.

• midwestguy33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are better pictures (not sideways) of the three planted frasier firs.

• midwestguy33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another photo.

• midwestguy33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And the final tree.

• gardener365
    11 years ago

They look fine. No worries. If you haven't already done so, cage them from rabbits.

Dax

• midwestguy33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for your reassurance. Jimbobfeeny....why do you think you weren't successful with the frasiers? Any theories?

• pineresin
    11 years ago

A PS to help with web searches for info . . . no 'i' in Fraser ;-)

Resin

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

Fraser fir can't really handle the heat we get around here - Phytophthora (root rot) hits them in this part of the state, since our soils tend to be heavy and poorly drained. I've got some nice seedlings in rich, floodplain loam, which have done well.

Canaan fir (Abies balsamea var. phanerolepis) is thought to be a natural hybrid between Balsam Fir and Fraser Fir (It was once named Abies intermedia, still listed as such by some sites), but is more tolerant of heat and poor soil than either Balsam or Fraser fir. It has done really well in spots that Fraser fir has failed to grow - Most christmas tree growers around here have replaced their Fraser firs with Canaan fir. Frankly, I prefer Fraser fir for the color and aroma, but Canaan fir is definitely a close second.

Hope they do well for you!