Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantaholic_gw

cupressus darjeelingensis discussion and pic

plantaholic
14 years ago

id like to hear from other growing this species. my plant has been very tough and carefree. currently about 18 ft tall, the tree has taken temps ranging from 13F to 106F. the tree seemed unphased by the horrendous drought in 2007. did i mention it survived hurricane winds as well? many cupressus have a tendency to blow over from my experience (especially leylands).

does this pic look like darjeelingensis? i know there has been some cupressus mix up in the trade.

{{gwi:680736}}

Comments (18)

• blue_yew
    14 years ago

Thats cupressus lusitanica got a few here myself
    its planted in a few parts of the world.

• pineresin
    14 years ago

Agree, it does look like C. lusitanica, though cypresses are never very easy to identify.

"many cupressus have a tendency to blow over from my experience (especially leylands)"

Only due to bad nursery care (coiled roots in the bottoms of pots); it isn't intrinsic in the genus.

Resin

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

From that photo it could even be smooth Arizona cypress. Fine anatomical details need to be shown in order to get down to the species level. Do you have any cones from it?

• plantaholic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i havent noticed any cones. ill double check tho.

the blowing over aspect is also due to rapid growth. i notice it with eucalyptus as well. it seems the tree canopy out grows the root system...at least in my warm rainy climate.

i need to get a pic of my other cupressus and see what yall think.

• pineresin
    14 years ago

"the blowing over aspect is also due to rapid growth. i notice it with eucalyptus as well. it seems the tree canopy out grows the root system...at least in my warm rainy climate"

Only where the root system is compromised by bad treatment. Plants with full freedom to grow their roots unhindered won't blow over, except in extreme storms.

Resin

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Yes, usually these are being planted pot-bound and falling over for that reason.

• arawa
    14 years ago

I have one of these planted about 7 years old and about the same height as yours, looks just like that and puts out lots of cones every year,handles 110-115f with no stress.
    Very limber tree, will bend way over in the wind, very fimly rooted.

• ospreynn
    14 years ago

Thanks for the picture. Mine looks just like yours. I received mine from forestfarm as a tube 3 years ago, and it is easily 9'. It grows faster than my leylands, but mine is very narrow. It has taken from 5 F to 100 F, with some minor damage. It starts growing early, and I almost got it killed two years ago on April.
    At least now I know it is not C. glabra.

osprey

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

For close-up (click to enlarge)...

Here is a link that might be useful: Cupressus darjeelingensis - Bengal Kashmir Cypress - ForestFarm

• arawa
    14 years ago

There is a weeping type usually labeled C.cashmeriana sold as a specimen tree out west. It has the same color and is upright but has flat weeping branchlets about 1-2 feet long, very nice but cannot handle heat at all and is for coastal planting.
    Inland in the heat random branchlets of this tree die off turn brown looks awfull.
    Supposed to be from same group but foliage looks totally different other than color, usually those come grafted on C.arizonica

• salicaceae
    14 years ago

Even in the wild, these species from Asia have confused taxonomy/nomenclature. In cultivation, the situation is worse. I have a C. darjeelingensis that came from a botanical garden and is likely wild collected. It was given to me this winter and is still small. I will check the details on it. It is green in color - not blue and somewhat weepy - but not like C. cashmeriana. C. himalaica, C. torulosa and C. corneyana are all species in this complex that are confused in cultivation. Usually, C. lusitanica is sold as these species and is totally different.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

"Darjeelingensis" developing green adult foliage liable to be C. himalaica.

• plantaholic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

my source for this plant was forest farm as well. i ordered and planted 7 different cupressus species and this one has done the best along with duclouxiana and chengiana.

i lost my 30 ft plant that was bought and labeled as cashmeriana, but i think it was actually torulosa. every so often it would turn an off color like it was going to die and it finally did.

• nothotsuga
    14 years ago

"Darjeelingensis" developing green adult foliage liable to be C. himalaica.

Those are names brought by Silba and they are from cultivated Cupressus lusitanica in India.

The photo from Forestfarm is what is to be expected for Cupressus lusitanica foliage.

• theforestprimeval
    14 years ago

That picture in the forest farm catalog is most certainly not C. cashmeriana/darjeelingensis... the "weeping" cultivar that was mentioned before is most likely the species itself, it is a natural weeper, and it is surely not hardy below 20 F. Why there is such mix-up and mis-labeling regarding this species is beyond me...I ordered some "Cupressus darjeelingensis" seed from Schumacher and both the seeds themselves and the resulting seedlings imply C. arizonica, looking nothing like C. darjeelingensis (seed was much too big!)...

• eric_9b
    14 years ago

Here is what we are growing at Leu Gardens...

C. himalaica var, darjeelingensis (from ForestFarm)

{{gwi:680737}}

{{gwi:680738}}

C. pseudohimalaica (from FF)

{{gwi:680739}}

Eric
    Orlando,FL

• eric_9b
    14 years ago

and here is Cupressus torulosa (from ForestFarm)

{{gwi:680740}}

C. torulosa 'Fernside' (from Stanley and Sons)

{{gwi:680741}}

{{gwi:680742}}

Eric
    Orlando,FL

• salicaceae
    14 years ago

Nice pics Eric! I would like some cuttings of 'Fernside'. True C. torulosa seems to be rare in cultivation. Apparently, C. lusitanica is sold as everything else.