Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohioch

What is this problem?

Cher
10 years ago

My neighbor came over with this ugly thing on a branch today. Have no clue what it is so I took some photos. Don't even know what the conifer is. He had about 4 of these big orange ones on the conifer but I saw a whole bunch of little ones there too just starting to grow. Underneath that orange stuff is what looks like a hard little ball. Wasn't touching it to find out. Says he will cut it down. Anything I can tell him?
Cher

{{gwi:681340}}

{{gwi:681341}}

{{gwi:681342}}

{{gwi:681343}}

Comments (7)

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Cedar-Apple Rust

Harmless to the junipers. Pick them off if you can reach them before they explode.

This rust is caused by the fungus Gymnosporangium juniperi-virginianae.

It requires two hosts to complete its life cycle. The fungus must infect apple or crabapple in the spring, then an alternate host, Eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana) or Rocky J.scopulorum) in the late summer.

Dave

• Cher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave. You know I knew I saw photos or something before and couldn't remember what it is. Guess that is a big ugly juniper then. :) Darn and I have a Crabapple in my yard 2 doors down. Mine is resistant but I know how that goes. Thanks again.
    Cher

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

that is a big ugly juniper then

==>>> yes it is.. and it will be scratching the cars inside about two years...

by looking at it.. you can see it has gotten fully established.. from the planting.. by how its growth rate has expanded exponentially .... and losing its cute little shape.. and quickly becoming the MONSTER it is ...

solve the rust issue thru a liberal application of a chainsaw.. at or about ground level.. and treating with stumpkiller ...

when i look at it.. i see a MINIMUM one foot growth rate per year.. and now that it is gotten going.. probably more than that..

i couldnt think of an uglier plant.. to have out my front door.. where i would have to look at it every single day of my life ... i would probably kill myself ....

and for a nickle.. i will tell him how i really feel.. lol ...

ken

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

It causes issue for all plants in the Rosaceae family. Hawthorne is very problematic.

Can effects plants up to a mile away if I'm not mistaken.

• Cher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken I tried to tell him when he transplanted a volunteer in his yard to that spot. I believe he is cutting it down as I really talked about the problems and suggested we go out this Spring and find him something that would look good there. You ought to see the big ugly deciduous tree by it. Has those great big ugly brown seed pods. Yuck. :)
    Cher

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i suspected it was the invasive eastern juniper virginiana ...

there are things in this world.. that are NOT worth it.. even free.. lol

ken

• thetman
    10 years ago

I used to get theses on my skyrockets- then winter destroyed my slyrockets- so I don't have cedar rust problems anymore......

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living