Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

Spring Garden Scenes

maple_grove_gw
11 years ago

It's finally spring here. Temperatures are in the 60s and very fine weather. I took some photos in the garden this morning, I hope you don't mind some angiosperms mixed in...it's the best time of year for maples after all. Unfortunately, the Maples forum is pretty dead.

Acer palmatum 'Villa Taranto'
{{gwi:681360}}

Pinus thunbergiana 'Koto Buki'
{{gwi:681362}}

{{gwi:681364}}

Acer palmatum 'Mikawa Yatsubusa'
{{gwi:681366}}

Pinus parviflora 'Pygmy Yatsubusa'
{{gwi:681368}}

{{gwi:681370}}

Ginkgo biloba 'Spring Grove'
{{gwi:681372}}

Crabapple and strobus
{{gwi:681374}}

{{gwi:681375}}

Spring also brings new plants in the mail. Here are some very fine ones from Coenosium Gardens.

Picea abies 'Norrkoping'
{{gwi:681376}}

Bob's shipping out some standards this year. I'm very happy with the three I ordered, and they arrived in great condition.

Abies koreana 'Blauer Eskimo'
{{gwi:681378}}

{{gwi:681380}}

Picea orientalis 'Tom Thumb Gold'
{{gwi:681382}}

{{gwi:681384}}

Abies koreana 'Kohout's Icebreaker'
{{gwi:681386}}

-Alex

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

you have a lot more space than i ever imagined ...

i dont think spring will ever hit MI .... it was 20 something last night.. i am afraid to get things out of the garage .....

thx for the tour.. and the pix

ken

• jinxz5
    11 years ago

Alex, Thanks for brightening up my day! I feel conifers and JMs are great together. Nice garden. Jay

• botann
    11 years ago

Yes, conifers and Japanese maples go together quite well. Here's a few under an Abies procera.
    Mike

• dietzjm
    11 years ago

Thanks for the post, Alex. Spring has yet to arrive in central Wisconsin, so your pictures are a nice reprieve from the snow and frozen ground. I really like the landscape shots, do you have perennials growing in there with the conifers and maples? Also, nice order from Coenosium! I typically don't like things on standard but the three Bob sent look very nice.

How is your grafting operation coming along so far?

Matt

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Very nice, Alex. Appreciate you taking the time to post.

tj

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Alex, thanks for showing us the spring in your garden pics.

Pinus thunbergiana 'Koto Buki' must be written as 'Kotobuki'.
    I'm not sure if your specimen is the right one.
    It's needle colour is not right for this species, normaly seen They're a true dark green.
    Also it's needles are pretty short.
    Do you've another pic of it taken in autumn or winter time, one from which I can see it's buds more clear?
    Thanks in advance!

You bought yourself some nice additions, those are good quality conifers.
    Picea abies 'Norrkoping', must be written as 'Norrköping' or 'Norrkoeping'.
    It was found in Norrköping, which is situated in Sweden.

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ken, Jay, Mike, Matt, tj, and Edwin. Ken, I've got a bit over an acre. Hope things warm up for you soon. This past Monday night, we had a frost warning which got me scared for the maples, thankfully it only got down to about 33. Since then, lows in the 40s and nothing colder going forward.

Mike, I love your maples, the branch architecture is very nice. Did you grow them from seedlings? How old are they?

Matt, today I have about 10% as many perennials as i did five years ago. In fact, I spent yesterday afternoon removing Russian sage and sunflowers, and replacing them with five specimens of Picea omorika 'Pendula'. I'd say that my focus has changed and I don't have as much time to devote to work-intensive perennials. I'd like to use perennials more intelligently in the future, and I plan to selectively design in perennials that can work well with conifers and don't require too much care. Grafting's going well, and I'll post some pictures next month when I bring new grafts outside.

Edwin, thanks for the help with names, always appreciated. Unfortunately, I don't have older pictures of my 'Kotobuki'. I'll post some pictures later in the year to get your opinion.

Alex

• botann
    11 years ago

Alex, the maple is almost 40 years old. If I remember right, it's a 'Garnet'. I prune from the bottom inside and go up, making a thin umbrella.
    Thanks for posting pictures of your garden. You're busy!....and all that space!
    Mike

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths