Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momtoollie

Help with pruning glauca atlantica/pendula, not sure which it is

momtoollie
10 years ago

I really need some help with this. Please look at the cedar behind the stone wall. It's growth habit is upright, rather than weeping, so it looks as if it's been electrocuted. I wanted you to see this in the context of the rest of the garden so you can see how it is viewed from the front of the property. Left to it's own devices this is going to look pretty scary. How do I prune this? And when do I do it? This is the 3rd growing season and I've done selective cuts here and there. Suggestions please.

Comments (7)

• Mike Larkin
    10 years ago

Very nice stone wall!
    It is rather hard see the plant, is it possible post a photo that is clear?
    I am guessing the the plant is young and eventually it will weep. It can get to be a large plant that will easily spread 10 ft or more wide. If there is not enough space, now is the time to move.
    To answer your question, Since this is a weeping plant it is best to prune carefully. Remove a branch at the branch joint , rather than in mid branch. Improperly pruned these trees will look very bad.
    If you are not sure, take a photo and go to a local garden center or nursery (one that carries this plant and ask them to show you where to make cuts.
    I placed a link to my site that has a photo of a large Weeping Blue Atlas Cedar (in the first article)
    Please post another photo - it will help to give the best advise.
    Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: My Site -

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i hate to tell you ... but that plant.. besides the glorious wall ... is the only inspired choice there ...

is there any chance.. i can send you an application for the WEIRDER THE BETTER CLUB... and you could learn to enjoy it????

what are you going to be doing with the grass and slope under it.. that it is so important.. to cut on this thing ... all that will be left is a useless piece of lawn .... kill the grass under it.. and enjoy this thing ..... mowing problem solved ...

its like wanting to put a mustache on the mona lisa.. because you are into facial hair ... maybe a tattoo

that said... its a tree ... conifers are trees.. so prune it like any other tree ... leave no dead extended stubs... prune so it can heal ... etc ...

too bad its not where that common weeping mulberry/cherry/whatever ..... is, on the corner of the house ...

what i am trying to do.. is make you see the inherent beauty in its natural shape.. rather than forcing some military precision onto it.. like the rest of your planting ... which is all fine and good... but i like this one particularly ... its like the wild scarf on the little black dress... a real statement ...

ken

ps: if you really want pruning advice.. a couple.. in focus ... pix from differing views might get you better ideas for pruning ....

• momtoollie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a pic from the other side. Ken, I'm sorry you feel my choices are uninspired - I think they're OK. The tree you reference is a Japanese maple which offers a spectacular contrast to the blue of the cedar. The grass is morning light offering a contrast in texture. The grade of the slope is negligible. There is an hinoki on the other side of the cedar.

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

Let it do its thing. It's a monster that looks best when it's left to its own devices.

• momtoollie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the quality of these pics. The wind is fierce today and there is no sun. Rain tomorrow, so I'll try to take some decent pics in the next few days.I don't think I can just leave it alone. I like the sculptural aspect of the plant but I'd like to keep it to a manageable size. Mike, I visited your site.Your cedar is spectacular, however if mine gets that big I'm in big trouble!! Great site. I especially love some of the plant combos. Good stuff. All suggestions appreciated.

• metasequoiafree
    10 years ago

i do not believe what you have here is the weeping variety. i think it was trained as a weeper but all that new growth is growing very upright to me. my weeping blue atlas cedar's new growth never heads upright, it weeps from the get right off the trunk. i believe it is a blue atlas cedar. i also agree that you might want to let it grow as it will and just shape any rogue shoots that are unappealing.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

I'm sorry you feel my choices are uninspired - I think they're OK.

==>>> your scape is GREAT!!! .. dont get me wrong... i was just trying to get you to look at it.. like we might look at it.. as a prize ... but then you said:

I don't think I can just leave it alone.

==>>> then have at it ... make it into what you want .. no tree/conifer will die from some pruning ... and if you end up butchering it.. get rid of it.. the basal cut ... and dont look back ...

if you cut the whole arm off.. at the 90 degree bend.. it will probably become a natural upright.. that it is supposed to be ... if whats his name is right ...

after 3 70 degree days.. we had the wind this morning.. up to 65 mph gusts ... and tomorrow.. and inch of snow.. high 38.. and a low of 28... pshaw ...

its your tree.. do what you want to it ...i just presumed you came for opinion and discussion ... i pray you were not offended.. but if so.. i apologize ....

good luck .... now do the right thing .... whatever you feel it should be ...

ken