Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

ID question...Hillside Upright

maple_grove_gw
11 years ago

Hey folks,

In one of Dave's recent threads, he stated that the plant he bought as Picea abies 'Hillside Upright' was later identified here as 'Will's Zwerg'. Looking through his thread gave me pause, since my own 'Hillside Upright' looks very much like his plant, and has been growing only a few inches a year, though mine is a good deal younger.

So what do you think...is this 'Hillside Upright' or 'Will's Zwerg'?

{{gwi:681790}}

{{gwi:681792}}

Alex

Comments (12)

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

'Hillside Upright'

Clement

• ogcon
    11 years ago

The 'Hillside Uprights' in my region are ....well more upright,
    but possibly thats a cultural variation(snow load?)The laterals are typically hugging the leader especially towards the top.I'm not familiar with 'Wills Zwerg'.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

is there anything better than a flexogen hose ...

ken

ps not helpful??? .. lol ...

pps: speaking of the hose.. 2nd pic.. left end of hose.. what piece of carp is that that is browning.. and whats your plan for it ... let me know if its compressa ... [psst.. dont tell him .. i am trying to get more pix of his garden... lol ..]

• outback63 Dennison
    11 years ago

ogcon,

Looks like mine....'Wills Zwerg' when looking at the foliage.

'Hillside Upright' much more aggressive growth rate.

Ken...Flexogen hoses aren't worth a crap. The male & female ends leak water after about a year. Poor design. How many you got with replacement ends on them?

Dave

11 years ago

my flexogens are 15 to 20 years old.. intact.. all original fittings ... never a leak.. bulletproof ....

they do go in the barn for winter.. come about 11/1 ... and i just pulled two out for conifer planting ....

perhaps its the winter care ....

and i do replace the washers every year ..... i presume that is not your complaint ....

ken

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

The upper 30 cm and it's open structure tells me this one is a 'Hillside Upright'.

It's big buds on the leader predicts that the aggressive growth has yet to come...

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your help Clement, Doug, Ken, Dave, and Edwin. 'Hillside Upright' it is then. I have to admit that I had been hoping this was a 'Will's Zwerg', as the space is somewhat more suited to the smaller selection.

Ken, you have correctly identified my hose. I have been happy with it, love the 3/4 inch diameter. Unfortunately I did notice a small leak in the female end when I turned it on this fall. (It overwintered in the garage). Dave, can you recommend a better one?

Ken, the plant is Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Ellwood's Pillar'. The side of the plant you see in that photo was shaded for years by an overgrown Acer ginnala 'Emerald Elf'. This is a shrub I got from Greer, who described it as 5' x 5' at 10 yr. Not quite. The thing turned out to be a real thug and grew like 3 feet a year. Here it was last fall, from the other side:

{{gwi:611251}}

When I removed the shrub, the shaded side of the Cham had a lot of dieback, as you see. I'll remove the dead foliage tomorrow, didn't notice it when I posted the photo.

Alex

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

I haven't found a better hose than the lifetime guaranteed Craftsman all-rubber hose. My folks had one for 15 years before the light dawned on me to get one (well, two, actually). That was about 5 years ago. They still have theirs as I do mine.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Hey, hoser!

11 years ago

adrain is so huge.. they closed our sears ...

i would have to drive to toledo to shop there ...

ken

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

K-Mart carries Craftsman too. My link is a K-Mart ad.

tj

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

While there you can get some boxer shorts.

Ask Rainman, he knows.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

tj