Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairfield8619

Singing Tree

fairfield8619
11 years ago

Just got in a M.glyptostroboides 'Gold Rush' and a C. 'Rasen Sugi' from ST. The crypt is very strange indeed, looks like and feels like an artificial xmas tree. The plants are healthy but as you can see the 'Gold Rush' has two leaders- I guess I should cut one off?
{{gwi:681898}}

Comments (17)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

conifers.. need needles.. to generate energy.. to grow the root mass they need ...

if you cut off half the needles.. at transplant..

what is going to fed the roots to grow???

in a year or two.. yes.. reduce to one.. otherwise.. whats your hurry???

i would also get them out of that plastic .. ASAP ... roots need air too

ken

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

Cryptomeria japonica 'Rasen' (note the correct name) is a really fun cultivar. It grows fast, open and architecturally very interesting. I'd say leave the stake attached for at least another season following this one, then let her go. She forms apical dominance quite readilly.

Now onto the Metasequoia . . . First, definitely chop off the left-side leader. This is another fast-growing tree. In a single season, you never know you cut half of the tree away. Now, the cultivar name is definitely disputed.

This cultivar came about through treatment of irradiated seed at the Kameyama Breeding Station, Institute for Forest Tree Improvement, New Oji Paper Co., Mie, Japan.

Here's some more history . . .
    Stanley and Sons introduced this tree in the U.S. under the name 'Ogon' (Japanese for gold) and later changed the name to 'Gold Rush.'

Pieter Zwijnenberg from Boskoop, Netherlands introduced this tree to Europe in 1993 under the name 'Goldrush.'

In 1995, the New Oji Paper Company applied for and was granted a U.S. Plant Patent to name this tree 'Golden Oji.' This is a name I have never seen before and I learned this story through the R.H.S. Conifer Encylopedia done by Auders & Spicer. They also claim that 'Ogon,' 'Gold Rush,' and 'Goldrush' must now all be relegated to merely trade names for the same tree.

Interesting story. Further discussion?
    ~Dave

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

I'm with Dave, you could argue there aren't enough roots to support the top once you work some of the roots. Clip that left one right to the trunk right now for this particular tree.

I make selective pruning cuts on 60% of the mailorder plants I receive upon order. Granted the majority are dormant.

I'd I have to say I prefer the name 'Golden Oji' if thats what it really should be. How do we know its the same plant as the other tradenames?

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Golden Oji' Patent

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ST sells it as "Gold Rush" they probably don't know what to call it either. I will cut that leader off when planting. Is it true that this cultivar grows slightly slower than the species? I had the species at the old house planted around 1994 and it is now significantly taller than the two story house! Nobody believes how young it is.

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Interesting discussion points Dave. Seems to have 3-4 unofficial names but I'd always prefer the proper one be displayed. Seems difficult now given 90% of venders sell it as 'Gold Rush'.

Singing Tree IS a good nursery with large stock and competetive prices. I don't order from them any more but I'd endorse them from past orders.

-Will

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Don't cut that Metasequoia second stem yet!

First - you need to know if one stem is the scion, and the other is an untrimmed rootstock - can't tell from the photo. Perhaps unlikely, but it is important to check.

Second - ditto to Ken, on needing to keep as much foliage as possible for good growth. Rather than prune the second stem, tie it down to form a branch. Then you can prune it off in a few years when it is an insignificant part of the whole tree.

Resin

• ogcon
    11 years ago

Lots of great info above,especially the cultivar names for the Meta.
    The vigor of 'Rasen' cannot be over-emphasized in my opinion.My tree increases its total mass by 50% or so per year now that its established.I can't think of a faster growing conifer off-hand.It needs industrial strength staking
    until it gets enough leader and trunk wood to support the
    lateral growth.Unusual and fun plant!Doug

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes much good info! I'm pretty sure that it's not the understock so I will just leave it alone for now. Just how big will the 'Rasen' get in 20 yrs? I'm almost fifty so I hope I have a good 20 yrs left and after that I just might not care very much. I need to know where to plant it. I think it really needs to be seen up close to appreciate it.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Dave, the history of this yellow Metasequoia is a bit differend then the info mentioned in the Conifer Encylopedia done by Auders & Spicer:
    In Japan it did have two names which were 'Ogon' (wich means golden), and 'Golden Ogi' (which means golden mantle).
    The story goes that Stanley & Sons introduced it under 'Ogon', but this isn't true.
    It was the Dutch nurseryman Pieter Zwijnenburg jr. who got it directly from Japan and renamed it in 'Goldrush'.
    Later Stanley & Sons received scions from Pieter Zwijnenburg jr., but they named it 'Gold Rush'.

Recently ago the name was changed to âÂÂGolden OjiâÂÂ. Apparently, it was grown from irradiated seed by New Oji Paper Co. Ltd. in Japan, and the company was recently granted a US plant patent for the name âÂÂGolden OjiâÂÂ, the other names are now simply trade names....

• outback63 Dennison
    11 years ago

Ah, we never know what we are planting anymore.

In the interest of being as correct as possible a name change from 'Ogon' to 'Golden Oji' will be made.

I believe the 3rd time for this one in the last 7 years. I'll probably have the only one in the Midwest named 'Golden Oji'. I'll make it a rare import that no one else has. The questions will flow,,,"where in the hell did you get this? Where can I buy it"? Then the fun begins.

Dave

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

What do you mean I already have two 'Golden Oji'.

Anyone want scion?lol

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

I'll stay with 'Ogon' which is one of the original names.
    'Golden Oji' is just a new patented name which is only good for the wallet of the person who patented this name...

It's not smart to give a older plant a new patented name because nurserymen can chose now the name they want.
    Most of the time this isn't the one they have to pay for. :0)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i dont understand edwin ....

you are a stickler for names.. and then here.. you seem to reject the name.. and say you will go with what you want ...

perhaps it is a nomenclature name versus patent name issue ???

so if i patent the 'gold cone' .. you are saying its still that senneca aurea name [i dont have time to look up proper spelling] .. and you are sticking with the old regardless????

am i right ???? ..... that you are debating nomenclature.. versus patent issues??? .. and the names are apples and oranges???? [i hope that translates] .. as in you cant compare apples and oranges ...

what a nightmare ...

BTW... why can they patent.. a plant that has been in the trade for a decade or two ... whats that all about ....

ken

• PRO
    11 years ago

. . . and we see a similar example with Abies koreana 'Kohout's Icebreaker.'

As we all know, when this plant was first introduced, it was simply 'Icebreaker.' When Jorg Kohout (the guy who found the original broom) decided that he wanted to add his name to the cultivar, we all obliged.

Now the Oji Paper Company wants to change the name of their tree to Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Golden Oji.' Why are we reluctant to make the change? Ken is right, we must be very consistant here.

Edwin, you say, "Nurserymen can chose now the name they want." If that is true, then why do you get so impatient with the nurserymen at Iseli and Buchholz Nurseries for doing that very thing?

~Dave

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Ok, finaly I got the story about the 'Golden Oji':
    It was patented in the U.S. in October 1995.
    This was after the 'Ogon' aka 'Gold Rush' was already spread among U.S. nurseriemen and collectors.
    That's why this patent didn't kept it's value very long.
    Probably the New Oji Paper Co. Ltd. from Japan wasn't familiar with this info, that's why the patent doesn't excist anylonger, it's withdrawed.
    For this reason we must forget about the 'Golden Oji' and do we have to continue with it's original cultivar name which is 'Ogon'.

For this reason I said that U.S. nurseriemen can pick the name they want to use, because unfortunately all 3 are still used in the U.S. trade...

• PRO
    10 years ago

good job Edwin. Thank you for getting to the bottom of this.

~Dave

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

You're welcome, Dave!
    I still have another case which I've to fix as well...

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting