Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmsweethm_gw

Spacing dilemma for my emerald arborvitaes

hmsweethm
11 years ago

I have 9 emerald arborvitae that I planted in a row 4 feet from each other, and I have decided they are not close enough to provide the screening I want in my side yard. Can I plant more of the same arborvitae trees in between, which would make them 24 inches apart, or is it a better idea to try to transplant the ones I have to put them closer together, maybe 30 inches from each other?

I planted the trees to screen the view outside my dining room window, so I wouldn't have to see my neighbor's driveway, where they often park -- I'm not kidding -- five or more cars. Three of the trees have been in the ground four years and they are about 8 to 9 feet tall. The other six have been in the ground about three years, and they are about 6 feet tall.

This is why I want more screening: I originally wanted a sort of "friendly'' screening from the neighbor's driveway, but the trees even now are not touching each other, and I can still see the parked cars from my dining room, where we spend a lot of time. Also, sometimes it is really windy here, and I think planting them closer would fortify them. In the winter, the snow really beats them up, but I try to tie them up before the big snowfalls to keep them from splaying. So far they have done real well.

I planted all of them myself, which was hard work but not impossible (purchased at about five feet tall). They are very healthy and green, because they are in a very sunny location and I water them regularly.

I tried digging up one of the three-year old trees the other day in an effort to move it, but gave up after a while. The roots seem too deep by now and obviously it's going to take a lot more muscle to move these babies.

What would any of you do? Plant new smaller trees in between, or maybe hire someone to move my existing ones so they can be closer together, and buy a few more to add to the row? Would I be damaging the trees by moving them now? Would it slow down their growth?

The other option, which I am not crazy about, is to plant a staggered row of trees in front of the existing one, to fill the gaps but not be in a parallel line to the old ones. But that would take up more space in my side yard, which I didn't really want to do.

Thanks for any advise you can give.

Comments (11)

• mmajicmann
    11 years ago

hmmm... i think i would plant skyrocket junipers in between but slightly (a foot) staggered outward... more emeralds between would be too tight and this might be a good look. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: skyrockets

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i didnt read beyond the first paragraph..

you would add a second line.. 2 or 3 feet in front ...

if you cant dig to transplant.. how do you expect to dig in between??? [wait.. i think i just admitted i read the rest]

this is where you tell us.. you have no more room in the small space between the house and the driveway ...

what a nightmare.. did you ever consider a half curtain.. letting light up top ... but blocking below??

ken

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback so far. Ken, it's not that I don't have room between the house and the driveway -- I do -- but I just don't really want a double row of trees. It's about 20 feet or more, enough room for a flower bed right next to the house and a small lawn between the flower bed and the trees.

Also, it's not that I don't have room to dig -- what I meant is that it's harder work than a 5 foot 2 woman could handle with a simple shovel. I'm tough, but I couldn't get it out of the ground. But a stronger person could probably do it. My question is whether the trees can take being transplanted. Would I be harming the trees by moving them over a few inches since they are as big as they are?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

first.. have you ever sharpened your shovel .. its like cutting a tomato with a dull knife ..

if you cant .. any hardware store that would sharpen a mower blade can do it ...

we would prefer that they be moved when dormant .... rather than actively growing.. and i dont know if now is good where you are ... other than the vague NJ ...

yes they can be moved.. but i cant tell you if that is the thing to do RIGHT NOW ...

and dont forget.. you dont have to move them all .. start at the end.. and move the end ones into the middle.. leaving as many as possible.. not moved.. eh ...

a pic might tell us ...

if you move them.. you are responsible for PROPER WATER all this year... ask if you dont know what that means ...

ken

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your help. I think I just decided that I will move them in the fall. And I will water frequently. Hope they make it!

I'm in Zone 7a, and here is a photo of some of the trees.

{{gwi:681985}}

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry. Here it is again:
    {{gwi:681986}}

• nancita
    10 years ago

Hi I am wondering if you ever transplanted your arborvitae I think I may be in the same boat you you were and I just had six arborvitae plant but they were supposed to be planted 3 feet apart and I'm pretty sure it's more like 4 feet apart I don't think there will be a know to block out my neighbors front door I was thinking of putting something I feel like lilacs for something else to grow in between just checking to see how you made out

• Roxana *** ZN 5 Indianapolis IN ***
    4 years ago

Any updates here please :) ???

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

This thread is at least 6 years old!! It may be better to start your own thread Roxana, or at least post a question specific to your concerns.

• ilumtaitw
    4 years ago

Roxana - Did you ever start your own thread regarding spacing of your arborvitae trees?

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA