Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Balled Bur lapped 7foot Norway Spruce

Posted by modelpilot Zone5 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 11:24

I recently purchased a b&b 7foot Norway spruce from Home depot, the ball was dry and there were needles dropping. I brought it home and planted it in a raised bed. I keep the soil moist but I do not know how to tell if it is doing well or not. What are the signs of a successful transplant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Balled Bur lapped 7foot Norway Spruce

" What are the signs of a successful transplant"?

Time. Correct care before and after planting in the mix also.

Why did you buy a dry root ball conifer with needles drooping in the first place? Did you notice if the root ball was broken? If so there is a good chance it will succumb to HD employees loving care for it as it sat on their hot black top lot.

Dave

o
RE: Balled Bur lapped 7foot Norway Spruce

has it already budded out???

such would be a good sign of some life ...

interior needle drop is normal..no conifer holds its needles forever ... and it is sped up by the digging/shipping and planting processes ...

at least you have a warranty ... keep the recpt handy ...

in the future.. understand that a transplant.. about half that size... has much reduced stress... and is easier to deal with all around ... including getting re-established faster ...

pix might help ...

how did you plant it ... if you want a critique of such ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here