Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairfield8619

Oriental Garden Supply- Picea polita

fairfield8619
10 years ago

After reading the posts on heat tolerant spruces I saw OGS had them and ordered two. The seem very nice and robust about 2ft tall. Extremely stiff and sharp! I know this is not the best time to plant something experimental but sometimes you miss out if you don't take the plunge. I'll be paying attention to the water this summer and will probably spray with wilt-pruf during the heat.
{{gwi:682034}}

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

never understood the idea of suffocating a plants respiration with exterior goo ... its on the LOVING THEM TO DEATH continuum ...

but that experiment is up to you ...

maybe spray one.. and not the other???

experiments are cool ..

remove plastic ....

ken

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Nice, their product is always solid. I really like working with Al as he'll send pics during the dormant season.

Did you use the ecommerce site to purchase? Thats new as of a couple months ago.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I purchased online and very happy with the service. They list a lot of things but don't have them all, that's why I went ahead and ordered. You never know when you might see something again.
    Ken I think the wilt pruf won't "suffocate" anything, it is a temp aid and is not something new, maybe do a search and see what has been said about the subject. You always amaze me! And wait, I thought the plastic was that new dissolving stuff- plant the whole thing!

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Forgot to say, I got a 'Falling Waters' and 'Debonair' from Broken Arrow but no sense posting pics- they are just budding up. They look very nice as well.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i dont need to research anything..

its a gut reaction.. plants transpire.. gases and liquids move in and out of the leaves..

if you cover the leaves.. arent you interfering with such???

its like you are slathering on SPF protection ...

listen.. take it for whats its worth .... nothing new was found.. unless peeps try new things ... go for it.. i have no vested interest in your plant ....

GOOD LUCK!!!!

ken

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SPF protection is temporary just like the wilt-pruf- you do want to stop liquids temporarily when something is not established in heat. I'm not worried about growth at this point. It's a band-aid, it's not permanent. AND I've used it for years with good results YMMV.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

You bought some nice specimens, are they grafted or seedlings?

It got a new species name, it's Picea torano now...

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Those are some dandy's. I've a couple of seedlings. I've seen blood from them.

Dax

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edwin, they look like seedlings, no discernable graft line that I can see. I really hope they are seedlings. If grafted I'm sure they would be on norway and I don't know if that would be better or not. I'd rather try on their own roots since this is an experiment anyway. I planted one today and man are they sharp, got stuck plenty, like a holly.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just heard from Al at OGS and he said the trees were seedlings. Very good.

• jfacendola
    10 years ago

Recalling my days as a biology lab instructor, I would think stopping your plants from transpiring by using wilt-pruf in the summer would be a bad idea. I do understand the rationale of using it in the winter. If the water in the leaves evaporates, frozen water is not available to the roots, and dry winds will dessicate the plant. Transpiration is how plants get water from the roots to the leaves. The evaporation of water from the stomata is the negative force that actually draws the water from the ground to the top of a tree, this evaporation also serves to cool the leaves. I would think some mulch and keeping the soil properly watered would be your best weapon in the summer. I will get down off my soapbox now.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

What jfacendola said. Its that whole hydrostatic pressure thing. I wouldn't use Wiltpruf in winter (even here) and never in summer anywhere.

tj

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz