Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PIX - Are dead branches sign of disease - Alaskan cypress?

Posted by grandma_gardener_02 z5 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 11:27

One of two of our 7 year old Alaskan cypress are developing brown needles and branches at the base. We have had a warm wet winter and now seemingly unending dry winds. Should I be concerned about mites? It was very difficult to get a good picture of the tree as it is crowded next to two arborvitae by our trellis. First one is overall tree - as good as I could get. Last two show the dead branches. Our other cypress [on other side of the two arborvitae is doing fine - no dead branches]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PIX - Are dead branches sign of disease - Alaskan cypress?

Hi,
This is nothing to be alarmed about ( i believe :) ).. the interior branches normally die..
And judging by the pics i don't see any indication of disease.

Jeff

o

interior browning is NORMAL.. no conifer.. nor evergreen holds its leaves forever ...

though debatable.. i would not call the stuff in there branches ...

browning is increased due to drought last year.. hard winter.. etc ...

reach in and knock it off.. or leave it until it falls off itself ...

brown down low.. hard to tell on that last pic.. is USUALLY a dog ... or a 6 year old boy .. lol ...

ken

o

Thanks guys. One less thing to be concerned about in the middle of spring "jobs" that are overwhelming right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here