Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Conifers in the south - a few pics from around the yard

Posted by ritmatt GA 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 11:34

Somebody mentioned that it seemed like people used to post more photos on this forum. I'm still a newbie and therefore all my plants are still quite young, but I thought I'd post a few recent photos of conifers in my collection. Also, since I rarely see posts from people growing conifers in the deep South, I thought this post might be interesting to some.

Pinus koraiensis 'Dragon's Eye'
Pinus koraiensis 'Dragon's Eye'

Picea sitchensis 'Papoose'
Picea sitchensis 'Papoose'

Picea abies 'Perry's Gold'
Picea abies 'Perry's Gold'

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Vintage Gold'
Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Vintage Gold'

All these images were taken within the past week or two. I'm looking forward to seeing some new springtime growth, soon.

If you're interested, I also have these and other images of plants on my blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: My personal blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Conifers in the south - a few pics from around the yard

Thank you for the photos. They all look so healthy and fresh in spite of the cold winter. Are any in any shade during the year?

o

Most of the trees here are planted in full sun. Except the P. koraiensis - it enjoys some afternoon shade, thanks to a stand of mature loblolly pines growing around it.

o

ritmatt, can I ask you exactly how you took your pictures (camera, objective, filters)? they are probably the best pics I have ever seen of small conifers.

o

Wow, lcadem, that's quite a compliment! Thank you.

The photos in this thread were all taken with a tripod-mounted Sony A7 with a Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 lens. Aperture set to around f/3.5, if I remember correctly. All shot with manual focus, which is easy on the A7. Many of the photos on my website were taken with other cameras and lenses, but the key is a sturdy tripod, a good lens, and tack-sharp focus.

Thanks again for your comment - you made my day!

o

stylin'

Agree, super photos!

Dax

o

Nice pix indeed, ritmatt. Thanks for taking the time.

tj

o

Thank you for the nice comments.

Matt

o

Yes, that is what I thought. Great photos.

The Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Vintage Gold' stays that color all winter long. One of the best yellow/gold you can grow. It does in time get big. I grew one for about 10 years and I finally had to remove it as it needed more room that I didn't have to give it.

Thanks for posting your photos.

Dave

o

Thanks, Dave.

Interesting comment about the size of your Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Vintage Gold'. How big did your 10yo example get? Most of what I've read shows them reaching 2-3' in height, but the Missouri Botanical Garden site shows them reaching 5-7'. I've got plenty of space, I think, but I may still move it to allow it to shine on its own, away from a trio of nearby Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Crippsii'.

o

Mine was about 4 ' H x 5 ' W when removed and I had selectively pruned it several times prior to removal.

I really miss the color that just jumped at you

I will probably add a new 1 gal. and enjoy it for another 10 years God willing.

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 9:30

o

Nice! Thanks for the tour.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here