Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

Picea pungens 'Ruby Teardrops'-- old cones

this thing is in a 5 gal pot.. and has evidence of extreme coning .. how many years old do you imagine this thing is ... 7 to 10 years .... which dates it back to glacier's story .. that's quite an investment in time.. for the grower ...

i am thinking right out the front door .... to replace a rather aged.. damaged st marys broom ... have a space of about 3 feet... that should be about right.. dont you think???

but the question is.. do i take the time to remove all the old cones.. or leave and observe.. and see how it all works out??? .. you should know me well enough by now.. to know i am thinking of 'watching' rather than working on it.. lol ... other than planting it ...

and if the terminal bud coned.. where is the new growth going ot come out of?? one of the lower ones.. so much to learn.. so little time ....

coning is a function of age.. do you think it will still cone.. as its into its maturity.. or might i lose coning for a year or two.. until its gets its roots back into growing shape ...

also.. since i have your attention.. i lost a lot of hosta when i planted a big gob of media into my sand.. but i fear bare rooting such an old plant.. should i just do it.. ??? ...

am i overthinking it all.. should i apply rule one of my usual diatribes: too much love kills things ... subject to rule two: just do it ... [BTW.. that spot.. on the north of the deck.. is still frozen soil]

ken

{{gwi:682052}}

{{gwi:682053}}

Comments (5)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company