Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning a Cryptomeria

Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 08 at 12:13

I pruned this Cryptomeria Jin Dai to look like an old growth conifer. I tried to make it look as tall as possible.
I was a little severe with it, but it will grow out soon enough. I have eight more to do and will group them to look like a grove.

I notice that most conifer growers don't do much in the way of pruning to alter the looks other than maintenance pruning. Should they be enjoyed for what they are, or what you can do to them? Both, I would assume. In this case Jin Dai is a rather unremarkable conifer left unpruned.

Any thoughts?

Cryptomeria, 'Jin Dai Sugi'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning a Cryptomeria

You have developed it into an interesting form. I like it. A lot can be done with just so so conifers. Before you begin a plan is always a must.

Dave

o

Interesting idea, and done quite successfully. It'll need regular trimming to keep it looking like that, though, as regrowth will soon fill it in again. Might work better with something which doesn't regrow from cut branches so readily, such as Chamaecyparis or Calocedrus.

Photo would be better taken from a lower viewpoint to emphasize its height!

Resin

o

now that is cool ...

how much time invested in doing just one tree ...

you are basically doing 'in ground' bonsai .... a bit bigger than usual ... go figure ....

ken

o

Thats pretty neat looking, I have to admit.

o

Very nice work, especially like the exposed bark color. And you're planning a grove? That will look awesome. And you are right as to how to enjoy them, both letting them be what they will be or doing as you are doing. It's up to the gardener's personal choice of expression.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here