Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cearbhaill

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Crippsii' Golden Form

How is this written correctly?

Is it the same as Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Crippsii' ?

Are they really as gorgeous as the online photos?

Pros/cons hints?

I am slowly coming to appreciate the yellows, lol- ten years ago I'd have argued that I would never own one. I fell in love with a simple Gold Threadleaf, progressed to (and adore!) my Fernspray Gold, and am looking at this one next.

I especially love the wonky shapes I see in many of the younger ones.

Comments (15)

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Crippsii' is the true name.

It's a pretty cultivar which will grow into a little tree.
    I recomment this one for a bigger garden.

• ricksample
    12 years ago

A little off the topic, but I would also recomend Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Harvard Gold' if you are looking for cool yellow conifers. It's much smaller @ 2' x 2' in 10 years. I just got mine in the mail this past weekend and I like the texture and the yellow which is almost white in some spots. It's very different from any Chamaecyparis that I have.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's a beautiful texture Rick- thanks for the suggestion!
    (and of course that lead me to a search which lead me to a new source on my side of the Mississippi- is Broken Arrow good?
    I hate shipping things from the northwest if I can help it)

• botann
    12 years ago

Here's my 'Crippsii'. It lost a few branches on the right when we had a lot of ice build up on the branches this winter. It grew too good for it's own good. I'm having the same problem with some dwarf Hinokis.
    The groundcover is Cephalotaxus and hardy Geranium.
    Mike
    {{gwi:683077}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

Errrr... how old is that tree?
    Cause that's way bigger than my site will allow!!

• botann
    12 years ago

It's been a slow grower even in ideal conditions. I'd say it's around thirty years old. I can't exactly remember the year I planted it.
    Mike

Original Author
    12 years ago

God willing I'll be around for another 30 and don't need to be digging out giants at age 87 :)
    I'll find something else- thanks for saving me!!

• ricksample
    12 years ago

I'm not to sure, I haven't purchased anything from Broken Arrow. I purchased mine from SongSparrow in a quart size container. Have you used this company before? They are great people and have always taken care of me.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Elsewhere in western WA at least one 'Crippsii' figured to be over 40' tall has been seen. 66' was recorded in Britain, where there are older examples, during 1982. It is not a dwarf at all, just very slow - as are other Hinoki.

Original Author
    12 years ago

So.... anybody want a baby Crippsii??
    I was not able to stop the order in time.

I can't believe I got snookered by height descriptions in a plant listing- I know better. I swear I read two or three sites and they all said 10-12-15 feet and I KNOW TO CHECK HERE but I was on a manic buying spree and did not. Damn retail listings are intentionally misleading IMO.

I assume I can just plant the thing out in my woods and hope the deer don't want it. Hope I can find a clearing that gets enough sun... and then tote water half a mile to get it established, LOL.
    I am emotionally incapable of throwing the damn thing out.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Being a yellow form it will look odd out in the woods. Since it might in fact take 30 years to grow 15' tall, maybe the long term height is not really a problem for you. You might be able to work with it anyway. It is quite a nice variety.

Original Author
    12 years ago

You think?
    Really?
    Because I would love to use it where I originally intended.
    I'm 57, so... I guess I could always cut it down if it gets too large.

I know that many of you here grow things until they become an issue then get rid of them but I generally don't roll that way. But I had designed the nicest little vignette with it...

See the plant at the base of that telephone pole?
    That's where I wanted to put it (all three of them are being moved). For reference the fence is six feet tall and you can see toward the top of the pole where the first line comes off- that's the phone line.
    My power lines are several feet above that.

{{gwi:683078}}

I desperately need to screen that area and there is plenty of room to drop it safely.

Hmmmm... I need opinions!!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Bump for the morning crowd...

Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, I have (200 lb.) dog considerations that I have to work around and that area is a major activity spot for them bouncing around when people come and go from the porch.
    Not a good spot for plants.
    I finally have it worked out to suit my needs and don't foresee a change there.

The view doesn't convey the size of the bed- I was trying to find a photo that showed my phone line and that was the only one I could come up with.
    I just measured and at that point it is 12 feet wide- by your calculations I could use up to an 18 foot tree, and hiding the pole is not important to me at all.

Not being contrary :) just explaining my needs.
    I am appreciative of every comment as it keeps me thinking.