Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nydepot

Blue Spruce replacements

nydepot
10 years ago

The home I purchased had mainly blue spruce on it (avg 25' tall) with some white spruce (say 70/30). No deciduous.

Over the few years, I've taken care of the deciduous part.

Once on the land, I had an arborist come in and they determined that the blue spruce had needlecast. Each tree has a different degree of damage. So all those blue spruces that help in blocking car lights, etc? They need to come out eventually. The worst was removed. Another is going this month. The needlecast can't be cured but it can be slowed with spraying.

On to the replacements. I'm looking for forum members' suggestions on conifers to replace the blue spruces. Some on my list so far are:

Norway Spruce 'Acrocona' - Picea abies 'Acrocoa'
Norway Spruce - Picea abies
Picea asperata
Picea omorika

I could add some more white spruce but don't want to get into another "this is what the majority of the trees are" and then with another disease, they all die too.

I try to go zone 5 for colder to be safe. And I have to contend with deer (although while the trees are smaller, I can fence them.)

Also would prefer trees to help with screening, not a tree where the branches don't start until 20' up!

Thanks for the help!

Comments (3)