Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Hobbiton conifers of the week, April 30th

Some more specimen shots from my gardens. I am going to try and include one non-conifer each week. Most gardens benefit from some diversity.

Cedrus deodara 'Mountain Beauty'. A very slow growing cultivar so far, seems prostrate.

{{gwi:683181}}

Abies amabalis 'Spreading Star'

{{gwi:683182}}

Picea glauca 'N.C.C.#14'. A Joe Edelweiss little guy.

{{gwi:683183}}

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Korina's Kudos' (#89)

{{gwi:683184}}

Picea orientalis 'Professor Langner'. One of the smallest oriental spruce. 7-8 years old.

{{gwi:683185}}

Pinus leucodermis 'Irish Bell'

{{gwi:683186}}

Picea shirasawae Mt. Yatugatake'. Easily my earliest pushing spruce.

{{gwi:683187}}

Acer palmatum Kagiri nishiki'. A pink-green tinged variety of Japanese maple. The pink is strongest from April to July.

{{gwi:683188}}

{{gwi:683189}}

A garden shot of the mostly mini-bed.

{{gwi:683190}}

-Will

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

stupendous

what are the pink spires in the last pic ...

ken

• Cher
    11 years ago

Conifers are beautiful but the last photo and those colors are spectacular. The inner garden looks completed now and looks great. Your vision of what you wanted can be seen by all now. Congratulations Will!

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Will, absolutely stunning pics!
    I'm still very proud that I saw all this with my own eyes last January during our U.S.A. trip!

Please rename Abies amabalis 'Spreading Star' in Abies amabilis 'Spreading Star'.
    Thanks!
    It's a Dutch cultivar which derives at the Blijdenstein Pinetum.
    A little while ago I saw the original plant during a Dutch Conifer Society field trip.
    It's a huge plant with a massive trunk.

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Wow, absolutely amazing Will. I love how everything seems to glisten when wet.

I have 'Mountain Beauty' as well; my understanding is that it fits into the category of 'stake to the desired height or let it spread as a ground cover'.

Mind if I try the ID game on your bottom photo? Is the Pinus contorta just left of center 'Frisian Gold'? And then the weeping Serbian spruce directly northwest of that in the next bed, sort of risky but I'll pick the obvious choice 'Pendula Bruns'.

• Windhaven
    11 years ago

I love the diversity of shapes and color.

Simply beautiful!!~

• harv2016
    11 years ago

Great pictures and thanks for posting them, gives me inspiration for my gardens. The japenese maple is great I'm envious, can't grow them

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It will be fun to share a photo series once a week. This way I can avoid getting in trouble for too many photos and I can spread out some of my new acquisitions over the growing season.I appreciate that you folks appreciate them!

Ken the spires are from a dwarf type of Lilac I think, don't recall(or kept) the name.

Thank you Edwin, I'd claim it was a type but that would be a lie, I am still working on memorizing these thousands of plants/names.

Maplegrove nailed it too. A wild and zany 'Pendula Bruns' and a recently transplanted 'Frisian Gold'. Time will tell if I moved it too rough/late.

Bonus plant(I took too many photos):

Abies koreana 'Aurea Jeddeloh Clone' - Is this name legitimate? Sounds like it can't be - unless it was discovered quite a long time ago...
    {{gwi:683191}}

-Will

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

Thanks Will! It's so great that you take the time to share your collection with us. I'm always eager to see your pics and the many species parade threads you have started. In fact when I'm google hunting for specimen pics I always end up at one of your old posts. So helpful, thanks.

I like the non conifer addition. I have room for one more Japanese maple on the shady side of my house and I'm currently shopping for one that makes me drool. The Acer palmatum 'Kagiri nishiki' is quite stunning. I may have to spring for that one, or maybe I should wait to see what you roll out with next. =)

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Looking forward to more pics of the mini garden!

I wouldn't worry about that photo rule. I see long long threads of photos on other forums.

One person complained because they couldn't get their question answered within a slurry of picture posts.

Too bad, its spring...conifers are in bloom!

• sluice
    11 years ago

Nice! The colors are incredible.

The Abies amabalis 'Spreading Star' looks good too.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Nate, it's Abies amabilis 'Spreading Star' instead of Abies amabalis 'Spreading Star', I mentioned this in one of the above comments :0)

Will, you're right with the Abies koreana 'Aurea Jeddeloh Select', it's an illegitimate and worthless cultivar name.
    'Jeddeloh Golden' should be a much better name...

• nwconifergarden
    11 years ago

Wow, that's a lot to take in! Love the gardens that share conifers and JM's this time of year, that spring color is awesome. Thanks for posting these pictures Will, I always see something new and interesting.

• dansgrdn
    11 years ago

As always, enjoyed the look into your beautiful gardens Will. The new bed extensions in the front are looking great. Looking forward to your next photos.

Dan