Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honymand

Spring in Denmark

honymand
11 years ago

Finally, spring has arrived in Denmark - and time to review my losses. 4 hard (by Danish standards) winters in a row, so it's no so bad. Last winter I almost lost Sequoiadron 'Glauca'. Wasn't dead but looking awfull so I cut it. This winter my Taxodium ascendens turned out very dead :-)

Surprisingly both Cunninghamia an Sequoia seems to have survived without any problems.

Also lost two dwarf Abies, but I think that weas rather due to draught than to cold.

Hans Olav

Comments (8)

• ospreynn
    11 years ago

Hans,

The problem seems to be the other way around for me.. Sequaoiadendron does very well here... it is Sequoia what I keep killing every winter... I've killed 3 so far.
    It's not the minimum lowest, but rather a combination of factors what ultimately kills them...

• cryptomeria
    11 years ago

Hi Hans Olav,

I live near Flensburg. So - I think - not so far from you. The same losses in my garden. 4 hard winters, last year a 3m Sequoiadendron gig.'Glaucum'. This year some more cultivars. March and the beginning of April too much cold, dry wind. Also damage at Cunninghamia and Sequoia.Most Sequoias I lost the years before.
    Most of the Sequoiadendron look very ugly. Too much brown needles.
    We need more than one mild winter to regenerate.Some with damage from last winter - I think - are dead now.Taxodium is too early to say more.

Wolfgang

• salicaceae
    11 years ago

Taxodium is usually very hardy. That would be strange for it to be damaged by cold there. Are you sure it is dead? They can leaf out late, even where native.

• fairfield8619
    11 years ago

Sequoiadendron and Taxodium dead in Denmark!? Just how cold did it get?

• honymand
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The coldest nights were down to around -20C I think, but more usual night lows around -10C to -15C. But thats not the main problem. Main problem I think was that March was unusually cold (but not very cold), very, very dry and still with long periods of high sun.

Some areas in Denmark had dust storms which is extremely unusual.

Hans Olav

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

Interesting. My 3 Taxodium ascendens had some winter-kill the first few seasons. Regular bald cypress had none. I don't think Taxodium ascendens is as cold-tolerant as BC, but I wouldn't think it would have issues in Denmark. Something else was prb'ly in play also -- the very small, shallow root system of a seedling perhaps.

• cryptomeria
    11 years ago

I agree with Hans Olav. This winter it was not the deep temperature. We had only -11,5ðC the deepest. But over nearly 6 weeks storm or very strong wind from East or North-East ,which dried out all the thinner needles of Sequoiadendron,( Also Sequoia and Cunninghamia and the tips of Cryptomeria )).Most damage I had on Sequoiadendron. They cannot survive with cold wind and storm over a longer period when they are younger in age.

I also lost some Taxodiums during winter some years ago
    , but I'm not sure what were the reasons.

Wolfgang

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Taxodium does not leaf out here until the end of May or early June, and the leaf buds are very small, almost invisible.

Highly unlikely that yours have been killed. Don't give up on them yet!

Resin