Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strange growth on bald cypress

Posted by ltruett Zone, 9 Houston (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 12:45

Any ideas what is going on with the growth? It has been doing this for the past two years at least. The growth is wide but flat. Technically the tree is a Nanjing Beauty (montezuma cypress and bald cypress cross)so it was grown from a cutting if that makes a difference.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strange growth on bald cypress

Its a disease ive seen many times before on woody plants such as forsythia and fushia.Probably viral.

o

It's not a virus or such thing, it's a a cristata fasciation mutation.

About 10 years ago a simular mutation was found in The Netherlands.
It was succesful propagated but the mutation didn't remain and reverted back to the normal species...

o

Ditto to Coniferjoy

Resin

o

There's grafting material right there.

Dax

o

That's really cool, A person who grafts could grow parts of the fasciated branches, then you could give it a new cultivar name and it could possibly be sold at nurseries if the mutation is stable.

Here is a cultivar of another species that did this and the mutation turned out stable: Cryptomeria japonica 'Cristata'
See link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cryptomeria japonica 'Cristata'

o

Lou

Thats a new cultivar you have there needs to be
grafted in the winter and see what happens

o

Lou,

I've made a note to contact you with details - next time around grafting. You'll want to leave a few branches of the fasciation on the tree, in case of graft-failure.

Awesome find.

Dax

o

• Posted by ltruett Zone, 9 Houston (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 8:14

Hey Dax,

I am Lou's brother. I'll keep an eye on the tree. It is one of many I planted at an elementary school in my neighborhood so as long as the kids (or even adults) leave it alone then I'll get some wood for grafting when it is time. I'm glad I asked about it as I was planning to cut the growth off.

o

I'll update my note.

Thanks,

Dax

o

I have seen similar symptoms on BC here caused by herbicides used for weeds in lawns...

o

Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 9:07

Dax,

One other thing, being a cross between a montezuma and bald cypress the cold hardiness is less than a bald cypress. I have seen zone 6 as being the coldest it can tolerate though I have no idea for sure.

o

I agree with Edwin and Resin.

The plant in the Netherlands is named Taxodium distichum ' Cristata'. The young grafts do not show the 'Cristata-form'. But - I think - we cannot be sure, what will happen, when these plants are older. Maybe they show some cristata branches from the motherplant ??

Wolfgang

o

Strange. I've never heard of cristata fasciation mutation. I was actually the first one to notice it but never thought it'd be that kind of mutation. I just dismissed it as strange looking tree and gave it to my brother. Funny how that turned out.

o

I think the right name must be Taxodium distichum ' Cristatum', but I can only find 'Cristata'
The mothertree should be in Noord Limburg. I do not know him. Cees tells us.

Wolfgang

o

So the plant is Taxodium distichum 'Cristata' as shown
in the pics.

o

Herbicides of the phenoxy class cause such malformations in many woody plants. 2-4D and things of that nature. I do not know though if conifers are susceptible to this injury.

+oM

o

Blue_yew, are you referring to the picture posted by ltruett?

It is cypress hybrid 'Nanjing Beauty' that I got from Botany Garden Shop a few years ago. I just happened to notice it but didn't think much about it. It never occurred to me that it could be a mutation so I gave it to ltruett for him to plant around elementary schools in his neighborhood.

o

Wow, that is really cool.. Curious to see how that develops over the years! : )

Jeff

o

Thanks conifer joy for the correction.You learn something new every day.Do you know what causes the mutation? as i see it quite often in my local area.

o

Sorry,ive only just read your post wisconsitom.That explains it then as i use herbicides frequently in many of my gardens.

o

Fasciation on forsythia
A similar fasciation on my Forsythia.
Clement

o

Lou yes im referring to the plant in the photos

o

Interesting find Clement .

Dax

o

Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 15:45

I checked on the tree today to get a better look at the mutations. There are 3 or 4 branches with the mutations, some more obvious than the others. The largest one is almost an inch wide.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Very beautiful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here