Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltruett

strange growth on bald cypress

ltruett
12 years ago

Any ideas what is going on with the growth? It has been doing this for the past two years at least. The growth is wide but flat. Technically the tree is a Nanjing Beauty (montezuma cypress and bald cypress cross)so it was grown from a cutting if that makes a difference.

{{gwi:683469}}

{{gwi:683471}}

{{gwi:683473}}

Comments (25)

• wallsg7
    12 years ago

Its a disease ive seen many times before on woody plants such as forsythia and fushia.Probably viral.

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

It's not a virus or such thing, it's a a cristata fasciation mutation.

About 10 years ago a simular mutation was found in The Netherlands.
    It was succesful propagated but the mutation didn't remain and reverted back to the normal species...

• pineresin
    12 years ago

Ditto to Coniferjoy

Resin

• gardener365
    12 years ago

There's grafting material right there.

Dax

• treeguy123
    12 years ago

That's really cool, A person who grafts could grow parts of the fasciated branches, then you could give it a new cultivar name and it could possibly be sold at nurseries if the mutation is stable.

Here is a cultivar of another species that did this and the mutation turned out stable: Cryptomeria japonica 'Cristata'
    See link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cryptomeria japonica 'Cristata'

• blue_yew
    12 years ago

Lou

Thats a new cultivar you have there needs to be
    grafted in the winter and see what happens

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Lou,

I've made a note to contact you with details - next time around grafting. You'll want to leave a few branches of the fasciation on the tree, in case of graft-failure.

Awesome find.

Dax

• ltruett
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Dax,

I am Lou's brother. I'll keep an eye on the tree. It is one of many I planted at an elementary school in my neighborhood so as long as the kids (or even adults) leave it alone then I'll get some wood for grafting when it is time. I'm glad I asked about it as I was planning to cut the growth off.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

I'll update my note.

Thanks,

Dax

• salicaceae
    12 years ago

I have seen similar symptoms on BC here caused by herbicides used for weeds in lawns...

• ltruett
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dax,

One other thing, being a cross between a montezuma and bald cypress the cold hardiness is less than a bald cypress. I have seen zone 6 as being the coldest it can tolerate though I have no idea for sure.

• cryptomeria
    12 years ago

I agree with Edwin and Resin.

The plant in the Netherlands is named Taxodium distichum ' Cristata'. The young grafts do not show the 'Cristata-form'. But - I think - we cannot be sure, what will happen, when these plants are older. Maybe they show some cristata branches from the motherplant ??

Wolfgang

• lou_spicewood_tx
    12 years ago

Strange. I've never heard of cristata fasciation mutation. I was actually the first one to notice it but never thought it'd be that kind of mutation. I just dismissed it as strange looking tree and gave it to my brother. Funny how that turned out.

• cryptomeria
    12 years ago

I think the right name must be Taxodium distichum ' Cristatum', but I can only find 'Cristata'
    The mothertree should be in Noord Limburg. I do not know him. Cees tells us.

Wolfgang

• blue_yew
    12 years ago

So the plant is Taxodium distichum 'Cristata' as shown
    in the pics.

• wisconsitom
    12 years ago

Herbicides of the phenoxy class cause such malformations in many woody plants. 2-4D and things of that nature. I do not know though if conifers are susceptible to this injury.

+oM

• lou_spicewood_tx
    12 years ago

Blue_yew, are you referring to the picture posted by ltruett?

It is cypress hybrid 'Nanjing Beauty' that I got from Botany Garden Shop a few years ago. I just happened to notice it but didn't think much about it. It never occurred to me that it could be a mutation so I gave it to ltruett for him to plant around elementary schools in his neighborhood.

• taxo_man
    12 years ago

Wow, that is really cool.. Curious to see how that develops over the years! : )

Jeff

• wallsg7
    12 years ago

Thanks conifer joy for the correction.You learn something new every day.Do you know what causes the mutation? as i see it quite often in my local area.

• wallsg7
    12 years ago

Sorry,ive only just read your post wisconsitom.That explains it then as i use herbicides frequently in many of my gardens.

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

{{gwi:683475}}
    A similar fasciation on my Forsythia.
    Clement

• blue_yew
    12 years ago

Lou yes im referring to the plant in the photos

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Interesting find Clement .

Dax

• ltruett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I checked on the tree today to get a better look at the mutations. There are 3 or 4 branches with the mutations, some more obvious than the others. The largest one is almost an inch wide.
    {{gwi:683477}}
    {{gwi:683479}}
    {{gwi:683481}}
    {{gwi:683483}}

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Very beautiful!