Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Hobbiton conifers of the week, April 18th, 2013

A few more to share since I will be taking a trip next week through the land of the most amazing trees of all - the Redwoods.

Abies veitchii var. sikokiana - Garen, the plant you asked about last week. It is perhaps more likely abies veitchii var. sikokiana though Wikipedia reports some authors refer to it as Abies sikokiana as well. In either case it will be very interesting to see if the lime green foliage is an annual treat or not.
{{gwi:683655}}

Picea glauca 'Kohout'
{{gwi:683656}}

Abies alba 'Aargau' - Another pickup this Spring from a local nursery{{gwi:807}} that has a tremendous conifer selection, Dragonfly Farms.
{{gwi:683658}}

Cedrus deodara 'Aurea' - In the large/intermediate side yard, this beauty warms me up every April with it's bright new growth.
{{gwi:683660}}

Picea alcoquiana 'Prostrata'
{{gwi:683662}}

A close-up as there is often confusion between the picea species glehnii, jezoensis, etc.
{{gwi:683664}}

Picea abies 'Cruenta' - Less popular with gardeners in faster Spring climates, my specimen has shown red{{gwi:807}} color for almost two weeks now. I'm keeping track this year to see roughly how long any red coloring is visible.
{{gwi:683666}}

It's nice and bright, almost like the cones of Picea abies 'Acracona'.
{{gwi:683668}}

Pinus strobus 'Coney Island' Makes a lot of cones every year.
{{gwi:683669}}

A LOT of cones.
{{gwi:683671}}

Picea glehnii 'Landis' - Often mistaken as Picea jezoensis.
{{gwi:683673}}

Closer.
{{gwi:683675}}

Acer palmatum 'Kiyohime yatsubusa' Small leafed and so far, not too inclined to grow upwards. It's been in my garden about six years now.
{{gwi:683677}}

-Will

This post was edited by firefightergardener on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 11:44

Comments (10)